Tuesday 9 December 2014

Jake's Christmas Beer Advent Calendar - Day 08

Last night's Advent Beer, La Guillotine, a "Belgian Blonde."


I've seen this one the shelf before and was always transfixed by the packaging. It's a simple label wrapped around a bottle painted to look like a ceramic bottle.
Anyone who knows me will probably agree that I'm a sucker for unique and eye-catching packaging - a common affliction amongst ad-people. But I digress. On to the beer..


Right off the top, this one has a lot of head. Apparently that's normal.

Then out comes the chunks of "stuff." (See above) Apparently that's normal too. When you're used to fairly well-filtered beer and alcohol, pouring out chunks of "stuff" can be a little off-putting. I even went online to find out if this was normal.

In hindsight, maybe the bottle is coated so you can't see through it. I probably wouldn't have drank it otherwise.

How did it taste? Excellent. You do need to get past the texture at first because it's very similar to drinking the last of the milk in your cereal with small Cheerio chunks floating around in it.
Texture aside, it was warm, kind of like something you'd drink during the holiday season. It was a little nutmeggy, or possibly clove tasting. It smelled nice, and was bright and bubbly. The flavour didn't get flat or boring towards the bottom of the glass.

Overall, 7/10

It really was a strange tasting beer. As I've mentioned before, I'm no fancy-beer-dude with a refined pinky-in-air palate, so maybe I just don't "get" the texture. Flavour was good but it was tough to drink/chew. Glad I tried it, but I probably wouldn't buy it again

No comments: