Monday 22 December 2014

Advent Beer Calendar, Day #16-21


So, due to craziness of wrapping up holiday work, I've fallen WAAAAY behind on updated this thing, so the quick and dirty update on all on the most recent beers!

Here's one the best I've had from the whole Calendar, Mill Stree Vanilla Porter! It was dark and delicious. Has just the right amount of sweet and vanilla to make this taste like a Guiness Icecream Float


I give the Mill Street Vanilla Porter a solid 9.5/10!

If you like dark beer, you gotta try this one!

 Next up, Hacker Pschorr Munich Gold

 For a little background, these guys have been making beer for 597 years. You can really taste the old!

 But seriously, it was alright. It's another blonde, but with was much more bitter. When I said "You can really taste the old" I meant it. It had a dusty flavour, like maybe something had made its way into the batch? I'm not sure, but whatever it was, it was a little offputting.

The Munich Gold gets a 5/10

Nest up!

Japanese Asahi Beer
 This is one of Japan's most popular beers apparently. According to their wikipedia page it "Transformed the modern beer industry in Japan."

My favourite thing about the can is that it claims to be Super "Dry." No idea what the quotations around "Dry" are about; I'll just chalk it up to it being weird Japanese stuff.
How was the "Dry" Asahi? Great! It's kind of like a white wine that dries out your tongue, so a full sized pint of this really needed some water or something sweet to go with it. The first half of the beer was good, but the latter half was a little too much to keep drinking.

The Asahi gets a 7.5/10, would drink again, but maybe in a smaller can or something.

And now the next unit, Innis and Gunn Lager
 

This is the 3rd Innis and Gunn I've had, and probably the best one of the trio.

I had no idea they made a lager, but I'm glad I had some! What can I say? It was a lager. Super duper delicous, would drink again anytime!

9/10

Alright, only two more to go:
Black Widow Dark Ale


I like dark ales, but this one was a little off. It just didn't have that full body and robust flavour I like in darks

Here's a good picture of what I mean, there was no head! Or rather, a serious lack of it anyway. It was okay, but just felt a little hollow going down.

6.5/10

Finally, the London Pride Ale.

This was ultra spectacular. It was malty, yet bitter, with a touch of hops. I can't think of any kind of beer drinking who might not enjoy this. It even had a nice clean finish so your tongue wasn't all bogged down afterwards. This was just a spectacular beer all around

9/10 - I'm taking points off because I drank this one days ago so it might be influenced by rose coloured glasses.

No comments: