Friday 5 December 2014

Jake's Christmas Beer Advent Calendar - Day 04


Here's day number 4! Holsten Festbock.


A German Dark Beer that adheres to the super-ominous sounding “GERMAN PURITY LAW.”
Of course, as aggressive as that reads, it really means “Beer made with Water, Hops, and Barley.” Why? I don’t know, let’s just assume Germans took something super-serious for a change of pace. But like that would ever happen, amiright?



So... how was it? It was okay; Malty, with some heavy flavours. It smelled fantastic, and went down the pipe easy. As a 7% beer it definitely felt like something to enjoy on a cold night.
And on the spectrum of dark beers however, it’s not creamy or smooth at all, definitely lighter on the scale like a Newcastle type ale. For lack a of a better definition I’d say it was “Hollow.” Seemed like it needed a little extra something. But as ain't no fancy-pants beer guy, I’m at a loss as to say what exactly was missing.

In Summary, I give it a 7/10.

Although I could probably find something similar for cheaper I’d never turn down a free Holsten! Would drink again.

No comments: