Monday 6 April 2009

Youthful Vigour

Being that I live in a house full of people, there's not a lot of time for me sit and watch what TV shows I want to see. Not there's ever much on that I really think is worth my time. Monday nights at 7 are when I watch Heroes, and Wednesday nights at 7 as well are when I catch Lost.

Otherwise I'll probably be caught watching the documentary channel, IFC, or The Antiques Roadshow. If you ever hear me talking about how young I am it's a lie. Inside there's a 50 year old man with rickets burning to escape.

So TV sharing being what it is I'll generally sit an watch whatever is on TV with my roommates because my roommates are %80 female, that usually includes a lot of fruity dramas. But I'm not too picky about what it is I veg out to. Except for Gossip Girl. Oh man can I not watch that show. I leave the room the second that program is turned on. I tell you, if I were a good looking, rich, well-to-do young buck in highschool I would definitely not be associating with crowd from Gossip Girl.

One thing I hate about highschool dramas isn't the plots, the logical fallacies all the characters make, or the campy message they secretly convey, it's the actors.

Who in the world decides to hire these 'Teens' for these shows? For example:
Sophia Bush as Brooke Davis in One Tree Hill. A gorgeous twenty seven year old woman playing a seventeen year old student! Seriously! Does that look like a seventeen year old to you? I know sex appeal hooks a young audience, but couldn't they pick someone a little younger? Are you telling me there's NO attractive 18 or 19 year old actresses?

Here's another one:
Benjamin McKenzie as Ryan Atwood from the OC. Really? How many chains is FOX trying to yank by telling me this guy is REALLY in highschool? If that's true then I graduated from kindergarten just a couple years back.

And oh man, here's the worst one in my book:
Danny Masterson as Steven Hyde from That 70s Show. In fact, the entire cast of That 70s Show outside of the first season or two looked too old to be in highschool. Interesting fact though, the girl who played Jackie was 16 when the show started.

Here's a show that cast the age group of their main characters extremely well according to their character's age:
The cast of Freaks and Geeks, a show about a group of grade 9 freshmen, and grade 11 or 12 year old stoners.

Freaks and Geeks is probably one of my favourite programs of all time. It was just so well done! The characters were great, the stories were hilarious, and it's probably really good family viewing. Unfortunately it suffered from being jerked around by NBC and was cancelled after one season. They tried to revive it and produced an extra three episodes, but it was to no avail. Luckily though most of the cast has moved on to bigger and better projects. If you like anything at all with Seth Rogen, James Franco, or Linda Cardellini in it, or that is directed or produced by Judd Apatow or Jake Kasdan, you definitely should check Freaks and Geeks out.

So in summary, I'm sick of getting ID'd everytime I try to buy liquor. Do I really have to sport a five o'clock shadow like those actors make people believe I'm not in Highschool? Do I look that young? I know, I know, I should probably revel in it before that fifty year old man with rickets bursts out of me, but I'm tired getting carded!

Yeah, this blog took a real surprise twist. How old were you when you stopped getting carded, or do you titter with joy when someone asks for ID?

8 comments:

Grammatically Delicious Designs said...

37 and haven't been carded in YEARS! :( And I teach high school. Trust me, none of them look like the 25 year olds they put on those shows, and many of them are trying really hard. Get a grip t.v. people!

Danielle

drollgirl said...

oh i LOVE gossip girl!!! but you are so right about casting. it is pretty much retarded to have 27 year olds playing high school students. creeeeeeeepy. and lame.

and i never got to see freaks and geeks, but by the name i am pretty sure i would relate to it.

i am 38 and i don't get carded much any more. your time will come, young thing....your time will come.

Jake Hammell said...

Awww, thanks guys! I think maybe if I got some scars in some knife fights I'd easily be able to pass for older.

Nai said...

Jake, I am 29, I still get carded. I think its the Liquor mart people who are on crack...

Jana Sproule IMA said...

I have the exact OPPOSITE problem!! I'm 19 and I NEVER get carded. People think I'm at least 25 everywhere I go. I guess it's because I dress mature and just seep confidence out of my every pore. (HA!!)

And my best friend looks like she's twelve!! She always gets carded, and you would think that if I'm with her, they would card me too. But no.

Actually, one time I was buying some computer stuff, and the salesman thought I was her mother. Probably because I was doing all the talking and she was just shuffling her feet and wandering around.

But then this other time, a girl thought we were TWINS!!! And was shocked to find out we weren't even sisters. Mind you, that girl was very drunk.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

I'm surprised when I get carded and equally surprised when I'm not carded... I don't go many places that require ID.

When it comes to actors and actresses playing "teen" roles, the absolute best casting has to be for Degrassi (the original)! Although the next generation one did a pretty good job too.

Those kids LOOK like kids! Plus, most to none of them look like models or professional athletes. They looks like kids! That's the point isn't it?

We need more "degrassi" actors.

Jakes Little Sister said...

Hey Jake.

This is about the cd's you sent me.

Frans Something...
They have some alright songs, and some other ones I'm just going to have to learn to like.

Lilly Allen...
Very enjoyable, I already knew a few of the songs, but I'm really enjoying the song "Fuck you"


Not really all that loving
-Jackie

dancersteven said...

One summer at the Calgary Stampede, my younger (by 6 years)brother was not carded, but I had to go back to the car to get my ID. I was not impressed. . .