Friday 1 October 2010

Scarecrow Festival 2010

The scarecrow festival begins in Grande Prairie today, and I've made another entry this year. To you I present the Big Country 93.1 "Dragon Warrior"

This took about two to three weeks of steady work. No single thing took all that long, but cumulatively it took forever to make.

My big issues are that I didn't have time to make him a tail that would swing and sway, his hips are too wide, and his head is too small. All of these were things I ran out of time, or didn't have the ability, to fix. Oh well, It's done I'm not looking back!

Basically I wanted to make something that I thought geeky kids who were like me would think is cool. Plus, Scarecrows should be one of two things, funny, or scary. None of this self-promotional BS. (except for the logo on his belt, that was the only thing I was told to include)


Unfortunately I'm very bad at genre specifics, and I wanted to do something related to country music I should have done the zombie of Marty Robbins or Johnny Cash. Maybe I'll do that next year!

The scarecrows are on display around Grande Prairie til' October 15th, from which point they go up for auction to suppourt the local rodeo association. If you're in Grande Prairie, you vote for, and see all of the competing radio station's scarecrows at Canadian Tire, and tons of other scarecrows around town at various businesses. If you're not from GP, you can just wait two weeks for me to post photos of all the decent Scarecrows. Either way, you're a weiner.

3 comments:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Awesome Scarecrow.

Would you be able to go into some of the specifics such as:

What is he stuffed with?
How much did he cost to make?

Jake Hammell said...

The specifics?

Essentially, I made his body out of garbage. Seriously.

I took some scrap 2x6's, cut them up, screwed them together to make a skeleton.
I wrapped plastic bags stuffed with old phonebook pages to give the body a rough shape.

I wrapped the rough shape with cardboard to give it a harder, sturdier shell.

Then I coated the shell with paper mache. Layer #1 was just your basic flour+water+newspaper strips.

I let that harden, then did a flour+water+wood glue+ paper strips layer to make it waterproof and more solid. Once that had begun to dry, I painted him over entirely with straight, lightly diluted wood glue to seal everything down.

Then I spray painted him, primer, 3 coats of paint, and the body was done.

For clothing, I bought about 4 metres of felt fabric, sewed and glued it all together, made some boots, attached fabric to leather work gloves, bought some costume props, and that was his ensemble.

For the wings, I took some of those faerie wings girls use for costumes, tore them apart, reassembled them, spray painted, glued them on.

For his head, cardboard, paper mache, spray and acrylic paints. Glued on.

All in all, it cost about $45 in paint, $40 in costume props, $45 in fabric, $25 for glue and work gloves, (this is a rough estimate) so it cost approximately $155 to make. Not too bad. That's about par for what last year's was too.

Any more questions?

Aunty Pat said...

nope you overed it completely I think. Wish I could vote for you cause I guess I'm kind of a geeky kid too! LOL