Tuesday 5 October 2010

Battle of the Bone 2010 Wrap Up



Photos courtesy of Amanda Wiebe

My team did not win The Battle of the Bone 2010. It's disappointing, it sucks, I wanted it real bad, but it just didn't come to fruition. My team and I didn't stack up.

The team from left to right, Jim, Myself, last minute addition Andy, and Steve

However, this year's contest has, to put it simply, been fraught through and through with controversy.

During the qualifying rounds, allegations that teams weren't eating enough meat on the chicken wing bones flew around, and that makes a huge difference in a team's performance and finishing time.

But I'll cut to the chase. Last Wednesday five teams met to compete. It was Big Country (my team), two other radio stations, the local rugby team, and Grande Prairie's football team The Drillers, featuring Shannon George, the man who narrowly defeated me last year.


So anyway, our teams was strategy was to be fast, but do an excellent job of cleaning the meat off the bones. I had confirmed the day of the contest that we would indeed be weighing the buckets of chicken both before and after to determine who ate the most chicken, as that does affect the standings of the team to finish first.

Basically, Big Country didn't finish anywhere near first. I think we might even have been last. But we ate all the wings. I'm not %100 if teams that didn't finish first did as well.

I even ate the one wing I dropped on the ground.


They weighed the buckets and Big Country had eaten 58 ounces of chicken, roughly 3.6 pounds (that “pound” of wings you're eating isn't actually a pound by the way). But when the announcement came down as to who had eaten the most chicken, it wasn't Big Country, is was another radio station, who ate about 47 ounces.

Whaaaaat?

Well, as it turns out, the judges mixed their numbers up, and the fastest team (who people complained were barely eating their wings) also ate the least amount of chicken.

But because I'm not going to be the team that complains over losing a charity eating contest, I just let it go. Big Country obviously wasn't the fastest team, and regardless of how much we ate, the championship belt wasn't going to us.

Congratualtions to the United Way, I hope that this year's competition raised lots of money, and that they see what a unique and fun fundraiser this is to keep doing it. This is only year 2 for the Battle of the Bone, and now that more people are competing, some bad blood and rivalries are developing, I think things for the United Way are only going to get better.

Next year we'll see how this goes. I think I need to recruit some serious ringers, because we keep losing to giant football players.

And believe it or not, giant football players eat more than starving radio people.

Field Music - Let's Write a Book

No comments: