Monday 28 May 2012

The Coolest Thing I Ever Found...

Story time! So there’s this back alley that leads to the rear entrance of my office. It’s pretty gross since it doesn’t get cleaned and has a couple dumpsters from a restaurant/bar in it that stink all the time. Plus, there this dead pigeon that gets cannibalized by the other pigeons. All in all, pretty nasty.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I was on my usual route to work, passing through this alley, and what do I see? A needle. An honest to goodness needle.


This isn’t the needle, but it looked like this one: Image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/meincken/2526901669/ 

Growing up in a little farming town, one can be a little sheltered from these kinds of sights. But thanks to Concerned Children’s Advertisers, I was extremely well versed in how to handle the situation.



This commercial used to be on every morning during the before-school cartoons and made me think that people would stumble across needles EVERYWHERE.

As a 6 year old kid, I was fully prepared for the day when I’d be out on the playground at Pierson Elementary and BAM! I’d find some drug needles. I’d put my hands up and say “I got this.” We’d go find an adult, leave one of the tall kids to hang out with the needle, and solve the problem of dope fiends chasin’ the dragon in Pierson, Manitoba once and for all.

Unfortunately, my day never came. I spent the entirety of my youth in rural Manitoba without finding a SINGLE needle lying around. It turns out illegal intravenous drugs just weren’t a big problem in Pierson. Go figure!

Come to think of it, Concerned Children’s Advertisers pretty much warped the childhood of most 90s kids. So remember boys and girls, if you see a needle on the ground, don’t you put it in your mouth.

4 comments:

John said...

Fuck you. 15 years of not having to worry about that song, and now it is tramping its jackboots all over my brain.

Tatiana said...

I concur with John.

Jake Hammell said...

You know what's great about that video? You don't even need to click on the play button. Your brain fires that song off by itself!

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Oh those commercials take me back!!!
What did you end up doing about the needle? My friend is a paramedic and one night she got a call to come pick up A FEW DOZEN needles lying around in an ally. Super gross.