Tuesday 1 May 2012

Monopoly Is Missing Something

Last night I acquired a brand new copy of Classic Monopoly. None of that "Canadopoly," "Star Trekopoly," “Hammellopoly,” or various versions that are out there now. I’m talking good old fashioned, paper money, Monopoly.

 And yet, it didn’t seem quite right. Just take a look at that computer generated Monopoly Dude (Pennybags?). Plus, the cards are all wrong.


 Look at that “Get out of Jail Free” card! Just terrible, it’s like a bad piece of abstract art. On the other hand, the board is pretty much the same, it’s got all the same old pieces we’ve always had.


And get this! They've stopped giving you the option to pay a percentage of your income tax. When did that even happen? Now it's just a straight up $200 fee.


That's bubkis!  

One thing I enjoyed about this new edition is their instructions. It’s a well known fact that everyone plays with their own house rules and the Parker Brothers are sick of hearing your crap about how long a game of Monopoly takes.


 As it turns out, when you play by the actual rules a game of Monopoly only takes an hour or so, not 18 days. I won my first ever game of Monopoly on the inauguration of this new board. I’m pretty darn proud of that.

 My dear girlfriend completely dismantled and obliterated me on the next game though. Overall, I have to say it’s still fun, but it just didn’t feel as authentic as playing with that old board that belonged to your parents for years and years. A new board doesn’t have the blood, sweat, and broken childhood friendships that those old games have. Hopefully in time I can get in some vicious arguments and fights over it. Because in the end, that’s really what Monopoly is all about.

4 comments:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Ah, monopoly! I have my mom's version from the 70's. The cards are yellowed and the money is so tattered and wrinkly! The original playing pieces were lost before I was born, so we've been using some coloured wood shapes.

The monopoly game with the debit card instead of cash is so bogus, right!?

Tatiana said...

Johnathan and I can't play monopoly. We can't agree on whose house rules to play by AND it generally ends in a near divorce.

Jake Hammell said...

Chelsea, you're totally right about the debit card. Complete BS! It's such a ripoff. It's like kids don't even need to do math to play monopoly anymore. And it completely eliminates cheating!

You know Tatiana, Jen and I swore we'd never play Monopoly together because we both get very bitter about board games. Just this week we've come to the conclusion that we're far enough in our relationship to take "The Monopoly Test."

Deb Forsyth said...

Hi Jake, I didn't know Monopoly doesn't need to take 18 days. Used to play with Maria on our 1950's version, and we had some real battles. Thanks for the memories.