Friday 7 January 2011

Top Ten of 2010

2010 was an alright year for movies, but not the greatest. It's going to be a while before 2009 is topped, which saw films like UP, Avatar, The Hangover, Star Trek, District 9, Inglorious Basterds, and the list goes on and on, but 2010 certainly stood up for itself.

So, as has become tradition, here are my top ten favourite movies of 2010 in no particular order.

Kick-Ass:

A tale of a nerdy loser turned half-assed super hero won me over with its humour and over-the-top performance from Nicholas Cage. Here's something you rarely hear these days, but this movie needed more Nicholas Cage. He stole every single scene he was in as the leader of a crime fighting duo. Check this out if you're into comic booky violence and comedy.

Scott Pilgrim Versus The World:

Speaking of comic booky violence and comedy, here was another surprise favourite. I knew nothing about this movie aside from the fact Micheal Sera was in it. When I sat down in the theatre I was just mildly interested with what was going on, and then suddenly the film geared into overdrive didn't stop.

Did it make sense? Not really. Did anyone care? Nope. It was just that entertaining.

Green Zone:

While Green Zone was no "Hurt Locker" in terms of suspense and storytelling, I really enjoyed this war flick starring Matt Damon. Knowing what we know about the war in Iraq now, years after the smoke-screen of lies perpetuated by the Bush administration has been lifted, caused this film to be seen as "Anti-American" by some reviewers. Regardless of what you think of the US's 'War on Terror,' Green Zone presents an entirely different side of the story when it comes to Iraq.

The Trotsky:

The Trotsky Stars everyone's favourite stereotypical geek, Jay Baruchel, as Leon Bronstein. Bronstein is a high school student who believes he is the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky, a leader in the Bolshevik revolution second only to Vladamir Lenin. He tries to lead a revolution using his school's student union to overthrow their principal.

If you read and understood Animal Farm, you'll like The Trotsky.

Cyrus:

Starring John C Reilly and Jonah Hill, Cyrus is a movie about a man who finds himself at his lowest point in life. He lives in squalor, his wife has long since left him and remarried, and he has no friends. Things turn around when he meets a woman at a party he was unwillingly dragged to, who he falls in love with. But, the woman has a psychotic 20-something son who doesn't want his mother to have anyone in her life but himself. Comedy ensues.

Toy Story 3:

I admit, I got a bit teary eyed at the end of this film, but who didn't? Toy Story has been a franchise that consistently delivered a great film for each and every installment. That's the power of Pixar I suppose. If you've seen all the Toy Story movies but this one, go and rent it right now. This is a kid's movie you shouldn't deprive yourself of. It was a great adventure from start to finish!

Inception:

Leonardo Decaprio? Check.

Guns? Check.

Mind bending camera work? Check.

Amazing story telling and plot? Double Check.

Inception was excellent. It simply can't be described unless you've seen it.

Flipped:

I walked into the theatre on whim with this one. The girlfriend and I had nothing to do, neither of us had ever heard of this movie, and we walked out amazed. This was a great, family friendly, heart-warming tale, of two kids in the fifties. What do you call a romance story about kids? I have no idea, but that's what this was. If you see this on the shelf at your local rental store, you won't be disappointed. Go and check this one out!

Jackass 3D:

Is Jackass one of my favourite television programs or film series? No. Is Jackass 3D worth seeing? Very much so.

It's quite literally the best use of 3D I have ever seen. I don't remember the last time I laughed as hard in a theatre as I did with this movie. I still talk about the scene where they launch dildos at the camera in super-slow-motion.

Like I said, it was the best 3D I've ever seen, and I don't even give a damn about 3D films.

True Grit:

I saw this one just a couple night ago, but it came out in 2010 so there. It counts.

True Grit was an excellent western, and has a huge appeal across generations and audiences. I didn't understand why people kept saying it was funny, until I saw it for myself. I laughed the whole way through this film, but it managed to keep it's intensity going throughout the entire movie.

Plus, who doesn't enjoy a movie with Jeff Bridges in it?

So, that's it. There's my top ten. What films did you guys see this year that you think other folks are missing out on, or which of mine do you strongly disagree with?

The Pigeon Detectives - I Found Out

No comments: