Tuesday 4 January 2011

New Year, Old Teeth

I went to the dentist yesterday for the first time in about four years. That's a rough estimate though, as I'm not really sure when I last went. I think was in highschool, which means it could have been as long as 5 to 7 years since my last visit.

It started off on the wrong foot, as I showed up late after an angry call from the office's receptionist reminded me I was tardy. Being that I had just ate mexican food, I figured a quick mouth rinse was warranted. Since I know I wouldn't want someone breathing spicy taco into my face, showing up late, albeit with fresh breath, was honestly a favour to the dentist.

I was lead to a chair and told to take a seat. I found a penny on the way, which must have been lucky, as this appointment turned out much better than I had expected.

For some time my teeth have been aching and I wasn't sure why. Turns out it was just a combo of me clenching my teeth at night after lots of drinking, and regular old plaque buildup. While the plaque wasn't good, it was an easily corrected problem. After an excruciating half hour of scraping at my gums, my teeth were A-OK. The dentist remarked that I didn't have any cavities or fillings she could see (which must be a lie because I could have sworn that I had some) and that my bite was excellent. Evidently, despite a lack of flossing, I've somehow been taking pretty good care of my teeth.

Then we had some X-rays to double check I didn't have any cavities. A second dentist prodded at my mouth, analyzed some pictures, and everything turned out completely kocher. As in good. I don't know if Jewish faith allows cannibalism.

Just floss more, that's all they really had to say. Plus, I have totally normal wisdom teeth, no problem there at all. Much to my surprise and jot, it was a pretty good trip to the dentist!

And after this experience, I admit it was a little silly of me to be nervous of making a dentist appointment. It's an important trip to make for own health.

All I could think of was getting a root canal like one of my college classmate Trent. After his surgery he came to class with blood pouring from his mouth, high as a kite, showing everyone his freshly pulled tooth, just to present our teacher with his note from the dentist. I seem to recall his now-wife apologizing for him, and saying he wouldn't go home until he presented his note to the class.

I was also scared because of the time one of my siblings had to have his wisdom teeth removed and his cheeks doubled in size after being loaded up with stitches and cotton.

But hey, brush your teeth twice a day, and you're good apparently. I don't drink a lot of soda either, which probably helps.

So if you've been putting of that appointment because you're afraid of a bad report, just give it a try! Maybe your teeth are better than you suspected.

2 comments:

BC said...

I've got a dentist appointment next week! I get my mom to make them out there, mainly because I don't want to pay for them myself lol. I'm a college graduate, I don't have extra money for frivolous things like teeth! ha-ha. I think you must just be lucky tho, I brush, flosh and listerine and my teeth aren't really in great shape.

BC said...

floss rather than flosh