Monday 17 January 2011

Lost Yet Again



Around this time of year, for the past 6 years, I had a tradition. It was very near and dear to me, and had become such a routine that I couldn't imagine life without it.

A new season of Lost.


Right about now, or in the next couple of weeks, the second half of a new season of Lost would be starting up. Whatever cliffhanger we'd been left on for the past couple months would be resolved, and us loyal viewers would be left with more questions after each episode than when we'd started.

But last year Lost finally came to its conclusion. Done. Finished. Finito. We were still left with questions unanswered, but it was what it was. Together, millions of us endured one hundred and twenty one episodes filled with laughter, confusion, bad relationships, a ridiculous amount of people being shot, plot holes, clips episodes, strange cameos, and even tears.

But now? I have nothing! It's all done with, and I have nothing to watch. I really miss having a regular TV night. I don't have a “show” that my friends and I follow any more. I watch the Next Great Baker, but the plot intricacies of anything on TLC are about as intricate as the sexual advances of a tired out hooker from Reno. (NOT VERY INTRICATE)

Last night's Golden Globe award nominations for best Dramatic series painted one thing very clearly: Network television no longer produces great dramas. Since about 2000, specialty cable channels have slowly been taking over the bulk of award winning, critically acclaimed dramas.

I don't get those kinds of channels. (Actually, I get AMC, which has Mad Men and Walking Dead, but hell if I know what's going on halfway through a season.)

I tried to get on board with NBC's latest Super Hero drama 'The Cape,'

But that show is just painfully campy. I also hate the sub-plot of the protagonist's family. I don't care about a super-hero's family, I just want to see some ass-kicking!

So, what are you guys watching? What should be my new “show?” Or should I give up on TV and just download entire seasons of shows like everyone else my age does?

5 comments:

Tatiana said...

We watch a lot of Top Chef because I like food and Johnathan likes the host Padma (she was wear shorts in the last episode, he was riveted.)

We also watch a stupid amount of Top Gear which is just awesome but makes us yell, "I've GOT TIRE SPIN!!!!" when trying to get going in the Aveo at slipper intersections.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Tonight is the premier of HEAVY on A&E. It follows morbidly obese people as they try to change their lives for the better and lost weight.

Fat people are fascinating! Words cannot describe how excited I am to watch this show tonight! It will be on every Monday night!

http://www.aetv.com/heavy/index.jsp

SO EXCITED! There's a link to watch a sneak peak and read about it. Since the first episode EVER will be on tonight, you are in a fantastic position to start watching a new show right from the beginning.

Anonymous said...

Afraid to say it Jake but your either need to get specialty channels like HBO(boardwalk empire is awesome) or just download the seasons like everyone else. You could do what I do and dl the episodes the day after so its kind of like having a tv night, just the day after.
Steve

Kristi said...

Like Chelsea, I'm also going to try and get into watching Heavy, hoping to find it motivational or something. I might watch it and order a pizza though. I've also taken a liking to a similar mini-series on the good ol' CBC called "Village On A Diet" which follows the town of Taylor BC in their quest to lose a collective ton in 3 months.

If you have the time to get into it, I really REALLY used to enjoy True Blood and Weeds, but sadly fell behind when I didn't have time for TV. As far as cable programming, I'm still a lover of Law & Order SVU.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Bob ate 7/11 candies and I had an entire king sized box of raisin glossettes while watching Heavy. We also bought nibs, but didn't eat them. I don't feel bad. I had my candy with vitamin water, so it's all good lol