Monday 10 January 2011

Next Great Baker

I think there's a lot of shitty, soul-sucking programming on TLC these days. It's a channel that I usually skip right over, and that shouldn't come as surprising, being that it's target demographic doesn't land anywhere near me. I'm not into wedding dresses, child pageants, fashion, little people, or excessively huge families.

But one thing I am in to? Next Great Baker.
Obnoxious Italian host aside, I really get a kick out of this show! If you haven't seen it, it's a show where two competing teams make specialty cakes for big events. The team who makes the best cake is judged the winner, and the losing team has one person eliminated. There's all sorts of entertaining characters, especially when you can see right through all of its forced drama. But my favourite baker absolutely has to be Dana.
Dana is a pastry maker from Delaware, head chef of his little shop. This is super surprising too, being that's he so soft spoken. He never "stirs the pot" or causes trouble. From what I've seen he's only made one major screw-up on the show, and even when he did his team still won the competition. In fact, I looked at the stats, and Dana has won the most competitions of all the contestants.

But here's the best part: The dude sounds and acts like the real-life version of Cleveland Brown:





Maybe not spot on, but similar, right? The big problem with him though is that's he's a little too average for reality TV. The show ignores most of the time in favour of its more flamboyant and/or female contestants. I understand though, on a network geared towards reality TV loving housewives, the living incarnation of Seth McFarlane's only black character from Family Guy isn't going to win audiences.

Check your local TV Guide for when Next Great Baker is on! There should be a new episode this week.



Jay-Z - 99 Problems

1 comment:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

I Love, Love, LOVE TLC! However, not into the cake shows, the wedding shows, or the midget shows. I like watching What Not To Wear, and the shows about weight loss. Maybe I'll give this show a try though.