Tuesday 3 August 2010

Nipping it at the Bud

Well, my marriage was a hoax. A sham. A great big fib.


I know some of you are shocked, some may even be angry, but overall this has been the funniest prank I've ever pulled. My girlfriend and I decided to go to Vegas for the Perth/Campbell wedding, and as a joke we thought it would be funny to do some fake wedding photos.

But things really started rolling along when suddenly everyone said we were going to get married in Vegas. Here's just a minuscule sample of the greater conversation leading up to our vacation:


Click on the image to actually be able to read it

And so we were primed to prank everyone. I brought my suit along for photos, one of our friends brought along the real bouquet she caught from wedding we went to, and Jen had a dress she picked up at Le Chateau before we left town.

We had a good laugh at all the facebook messages, emails, calls, and comments from people, all of whom were quite relieved in the end that we weren't actually married. Many said this was one of the best pranks they've ever seen.

But this morning my station's sales manager was chatting with me just before she went on the radio and I gave her the “I'm married, won money, couldn't afford tax duty on rings, blah blah blah” speech, and she said congratulations and on went the microphone:



Afterwards I immediately said it was a prank, everyone had some laughs, but then I got a call from a client who had heard the announcement on the radio too.

So, I now have to officially nip this in the bud before it gets too out of control and anyone sends congratulation cards.

Don't worry everyone, it was just an elaborate ruse. There's nothing to see here, and if you happen to see any more wedding photos, just keep everything business as usual.

To everyone who figured it out as well, thanks for keeping a lid on it and joining in on the joke!

3 comments:

Aunty Pat said...

Well I had quite the stomach ache for the few hours between, what a cool prank, oh no it's real until, what a cool prank. I really couldn't imagine you doing THAT to your family. I am so glad you explained the dress & suit--I was wondering if they rented clothes for spur-of-the-moment weddings. It was a great stunt--the greatest & I promise we will falsely toast fake Jake on your pretend marriage!! Sean wants to take flat Jake to a strip bar for "your" stag.

Tatiana said...

Sadly Johnathan and I figured it out pretty quick and when I say pretty quick I mean immediately. You were standing in front of the chapel in the hotel we stayed in. We tried to renew our vows there. They wanted a hell of a lot of documentation just for a vow renewal (marriage cert, birth certificates...) Then we looked at what it would require just to get married again...just as much documentation was required. And were all, "This is VEGAS!!! People get hitched here all the time!"

However we truly enjoyed the chaos that these shanagians of yours caused.

Jake Hammell said...

Haha, that's pretty quick of you Tatiana, but the only thing we both were lacking actually was the marriage certificate. Birth certificates, photo ID, social security number, and wedding license. But I could do without the family fallout of not inviting people to my wedding.

Plus, without them I couldn't have a giant rockin' reception with 30 roast turkeys and suckling pigs.