Thursday 19 August 2010

A Sticky Situation

I have this habit where I like to examine things, in great detail, that I find on the ground. The amount of thought that I dedicate to some of my finds is somewhat startling, even over the most mundane of discovery.

For about two weeks now I’ve had the joy of walking by a large lump of gum just outside of work. And by a large lump I mean a tree sized stump of gum so massive a hippo couldn’t swallow it.


For comparison’s sake, I borrowed a quarter from Kristi Mingo so I could give you guys some scale of this miniature horse-sized lump.

We both agreed that this is way more gum than any normal human should be able to chew. That thing’s got to be at least three pieces of Dubble Bubble masticated together and spat out! Bear in mind too that this is after most of the moisture has been baked out from laying on asphalt and being driven over. Who knows how big this was when it started?

If it is in fact Dubble Bubble, and that’s the type of gum I suspect it is, between the massive amount of saliva they’d be producing and all that gum they’d be chewing, the masticator in question must have looked like quite similar to this:


Kristi suggested that I should smell the gum too. I know taking pictures of a lump of gum on the street is one thing, but smelling it is a completely different ballpark. So the gum will remain unidentified.
If it happened to be that awful Bazooka Joe however, that poor person’s mouth would be bone dry and there would be several teeth lodged in that lump.

Anyway, what’s the most interesting thing you’ve ever found on the ground?

4 comments:

Kristi said...

More importantly, what's the story behind the picture of Tyra with rabies?

p.s. You shoulda smelled it.

Jake Hammell said...

The rabies thing? Tyra Branks pranked her audience and faked a rabies attack. The funny part? Nobody rushed to help her. Everyone just watched.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2010/05/01/13790241-wenn-story.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClHN6bosJ-A&feature=search

BC said...

I'm not sure what else it would be but it doesn't really look like gum to me.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

That gum is gross! I know a girl I went to high school with though who had this thing where she could not chew just ONE piece of gum. If she put one in her mouth, she would end up putting the whole package in her mouth! That's why she stopped buying gum; her jaw was getting sore. LOL