Monday 9 August 2010

Thems the Breaks

Well, I had a lively weekend filled with golfing, gambling on horse races, and tipping side-by-side ATVs onto my leg.

The Rhino side-by-side is a little top heavy, more-so than I realized actually. If you don't know what one looks like it's exactly like this:


When I decided to drive it pretty much sideways with it down a river bank I happened to be cruising by, I leaned a little too far the wrong way and its roll bars landed right on my left leg. It looked exactly like this:

So when I got home I wrapped my foot up, and thought I'd be just just dandy. Here's a photo of it pre-hospital visit.

It doesn't look too bad here, but you can see my puffy toes

But as I lay in bed Saturday night (early Sunday morning) the excruciating throbbing prompted a visit to the ER for some drugs. When I got there I sat in the nearest set of wheels and waited for the next two and a half hours for painkillers so I could sleep.

Being that ATV rollovers are fairly common here in the Peace, the doctor decided a stop for X-Rays was warranted. I hoped with every unbroken bone in my body that a hard cast wouldn't be required. I mean, I could hobble along on my swollen yam of a foot, so nothing can be broken, right?

This looks waaaaay better than before I put the tenser on. Beforehand it was roughly the size of a large office air conditioning unit.

As it turns out the very tip of my left fibula (I think that was it, the small, long one in your lower leg) was broken. This required me to be fitted with something sturdier than a tenser, this situation calls for a ROBOBOOT!

Seriously, that's what this thing is called. A Roboboot. I read it on my medical papers. I feel like Robocop stomping around in this thing.

I have to return to the hospital in a week to see if the bone is any better and if I can ditch my Roboboot. In the meantime though, I have a hefty bottle of hard drugs I can sleep away the week with.

Gotta love codeine.

3 comments:

John said...

Could be worse... Could have cracked your pelvis.

Maxwell ! said...

Yeah codeine!! It's pretty much the light of my life.

anyway, taker easy on the old leg man.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Aw, I'm sorry about your leg, but congrats on the Roboboot! Now you and the Miss can do some Terminator role-playing haha