Thursday 26 November 2009

Gingerbread Competition

This past Tuesday evening was the official judging for my station's gingerbread house that my coworkers and I built. Here's a photo of the creative team behind its construction.


We didn't win any special mention or anything, which kind of sucks. But, that being said, holy smackers, you should see some of the ones we were up against. I'm proud of our little gingerbread church, but some of the creations were completely astounding and amazingly creative. So I'm not surprised when our team didn't win.

Here's some pictures of the other creations:

This one depicted Christmas in Africa

This is the house from Pixar's 'Up.' I was stupid and didn't catch the balloons that were attached to the roof of this thing; but they're there, attached to that white stick at the top of the picture.

This isn't the most Christmasy creation, but I was really impressed by the detail. Also, I've discovered by looking very closely that the real trick to making creations like this is to use fondant. All of the really intricate constructs were covered in the stuff.

The Nightmare Before Christmas, good stuff.

I think this one got second place, that carousel actually rotated and the reindeer went up and down, just like the real thing!

This is the first place winner. It's almost sickening how good this one is. The picture doesn't do it any justice, you really have see this one to believe it.

This is but a few of the creations of this year's Festival of Trees. And after seeing what people had to show for themselves, we're going to step up our game.

Screw Christmas themed creations! We're going to build a scale representation of the Colosseum, and hopefully have some kind of bloody battle scene playing out in its pit. The battle scene will of course feature Russell Crowe. That's just a given.


1 comment:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

WHOA some of those gingerbread houses were pretty fantastic!

If I could make a gingerbread house, I'd probably make a derelict hotel or some sort of dilapidated beer vendor or something. Drunk people included.