Friday 28 August 2009

Art Day: Roving Rover

Here's a painting I finished up a couple weeks ago. It's not the first 'animals doing people things' kind of painting I've done, and it seems to be a recurring theme.


It's called "Roving Rover" which really has nothing to do with what's going on here aside from a dog driving the SUV. (I wanted to paint a van, but it turned into more of an SUV)

This was another exercise in perspective, but also colour. I wanted to paint something really really bright cheerful (I even bought special silver paint for the grill). In hindsight I forgot some things in the painting that would have made it look better, but overall I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I would have liked to clutter the background up with road signs, but I didn't really decide what exactly the whole thing was going to look like until I started painting the SUV.

The more I painted it the more twisted it became too until finally the vehicle ended up with some bug splatters and dead animals. I bet any psychologist would have a hey-day looking at this one.

Anyway, the best part is seeing people's reactions to this one. They've ranged from people saying "Oh my god!" in shock, and sheer joy.

Anyway, what do you think is going here? Why is the dog driving? What makes that kid so happy?

The White Stripes - We're Gonna Be Friends

4 comments:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Once you paint enough pictures, you should totally hold an open gallery type thing and serve fancy finger food.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

And have your company pay for it.

drollgirl said...

painting is such a crazy process, no? sometimes it is hard to know when to stop or when to start again. it is a good thing tho, and i am so glad you are keeping it up!

Maxwell ! said...

Jake Hammell, someday when we work at the same station ( I think it will at some point) you need to teach me how to paint.

It's something I've always wanted to do but would have no idea how to start.

-Maxwell