Monday 31 August 2009

Art Day: Loose Balloon

For lack of anything better to talk about, here's another Art Day filler post.


I finished this one up last weekend. It's called "Loose Balloon." Like any good artist, I stole the idea of doing a painting based on a song from a coworker (who happens to be a legit artist); Score one for originality. This is based on the song of the same name "Loose Balloon" by The Presidents of the United States of America.

Listen to the song here:


I've had the idea of this one rumbling around for a good long time, probably since March, and since Micheals was having a sale on giant canvases I figured now was as good a time as any to do my first giant painting.

I started out with the blue background, and it turned out really well. The background is by fair my favourite part of the entire thing. Because I liked the background so much I decided to leave it mostly empty, because cluttering it up would take away from how much I like the shades of blue, as well as how simplistic the whole thing is.

But of course because I'm no pro I made a few screw-ups, had to repaint the hand, and the majority of the clouds are me being lazy and covering up mistakes or places where I somehow managed to splatter paint.

On the whole, everyone thinks this one is very pleasant, relaxing to look at, and is very 'normal' for me. Here's an actual quote of what someone thought:

"Oh my god. It's normal, I love it!"

True Story.

2 comments:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

I absolutely LOVE this piece!!! I want it to own.

Dave said...

I dig it, nice job jake!