Sunday 26 July 2009

Lord Tunderin' Jesus!

You know what I really enjoy? East Coast music. Which is good because I ended up introducing lots of bands this past weekend at The East Coast Garden Party.

The East Coast Garden party is a big music show held every year in Grande Prairie where they feature some local bands who play some east coast sounding stuff, and a few big bands who're flown in to entertain the masses.

Alberta happens to have a large population of folks from the coast, especially Newfoundland & Labrador. So needless to say, half of the concert's attendees were ex-pats from the coast. On average after they had about 4 drinks I couldn't understand a single word coming from their mouths. I think had good chat with a guy about country music, but for all I know he might have been telling me about his dog Skippy.

Here's a series of photos from the event:

This is tub #1 of beer. The back of the trailer this tub is in had tons more. No festival celebrating the east coast would be complete without excessive amounts of alcohol.


This is the drummer (Ryan McCaffery) and bassist (Troy Spinney) of The Mudmen. They were f'n awesome, except I started getting silly behind stage,

And Troy decided he'd had enough of my guff.



Here's the Kilkenny Krew, rocking out as per usual. These dudes were also a killer act, and you should definitely check them out if get the chance. But be forewarned...


...Don't make a mess behind the stage...

Because it isn't just the Kilkenny Krew's lead singer who doesn't appreciate it...


It's the ENTIRE band who doesn't appreciate it.

Further advice I have is that you shouldn't make fun of Newfies in front of Newfies, because they'll get angry with you.

Which I quickly discovered.

Anyway, that's another East Coast Garden Party all wrapped up. In summary, East Coast music is good for you, and you should listen to it daily.

4 comments:

Kirsty said...

Ah this looks like so much fun. So what qualifies as East Coast music?

XOXO said...

Can't leave you alone for a minute, can we??

Looks like fun - or, at least it looks like other people had fun. YOU look like you might need the ER.

;)

Tatiana said...

Oh East coast music how I love it! If you ever need lessons on understanding what they're saying I'm more than willing to help you out. My favourite newf phrase is, "Stay where you're at, I'll come where you're to."

Oh and once more, I feel a coffee table book coming on! Or maybe a desk calendar. Oh I can just see it now, "Jake getting the beats 365"

Lianne said...

Were there fiddles? I love fiddles. Can't get enough of fiddles actually.