Monday 9 March 2009

Review O'Clock

Okay, this review won't be very long because there's not much else to say beyond...

One Week kicked ass!

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome! The entire time the movie was playing I was just grinning away. It's sooooo gooooood. Plus for a change because I went to the late show on a Monday there was just myself and three other people. Three other completely sane, non-jackassy, normal people. I couldn't have asked for a better way to see this movie.

First off, it had great narration! And the way the story is constructed and plays out is perfect. There's nothing new or innovative about the way One Week is built. But the tragically lame life childhood coming to a depressing boil with the fatal diagnosis of cancer sets the stage amazingly for the rest of the movie.

Not to mention the glorious soundtrack. For anyone who likes indie-canadian stuff, you will LOVE this movie. The best part is that it takes place across Canada, so you're GOING to see some places you recognize. One in particular was the giant pipe at St.Claude...

... where a certain TV Reporter some of the readers may know was raised. Also, the giant camel, pardon, let me correct that, the giant ANATOMICALLY correct FEMALE camel in Glenboro.


There's a great shot in the movie of Josh Jackson staring into the vagina of Sara the Camel.

I felt that the ending played out a little long, but it was nice. I can see why they made it the way they did. I loses no points for that.

I rate the movie:


9.5/10

Awesome movie, great soundtrack, beautiful narration, good story, and best of all, lots of great Canadian cameos. It does lose half a point however only showing one kind of beer being drank the entire time. That's a little unrealistic. Plus I think this movie may spurs bums (like me) to go cross country on motorbikes.

But I still want a motorbike.

My favourite part in the movie, when the female lead is walking along and comes across none other than

JOEL-FUCKING-PLASKETT

who is just busking away and sings one of his best songs 'Million Dollars.'

So Good. nearly stood up and applauded. I would have too if I were by myself.

So here's my final verdict. Coming from a guy who saw it for free, I would willingly pay to see it again. You should pay to see this one now.

Look, here's the link for all you Canadians to see if it's playing in your local theatre. Check now! American readers can follow the link as well, there's some other linkage to get where you need to go from there.

Why are you still reading? Turn off the screen and go now.


2 comments:

drollgirl said...

what a pitch!!! i can't wait to see it!!!!

Jana Sproule IMA said...

I'm going to add this one to the list. It must be damn good if the only reason it's not a ten would be a lack of beer variety.