Tuesday 31 March 2009

Proper Acknowledgement

It's nice to see that Grande Prairie is finally recognizing me for how famous I am. I recently made it into their newspaper for becoming eating champion of Grande Prairie.

Oh, and as an update, I've never been able to get completely full from a meal since I became eating champion. I think I must have sprained my stomach.

Anyway, this past weekend I judged a ski competition. It was this thing where they basically get this giant puddle of cold water on the ski hill, and competitors have to make it across on their snowboards or skiis.

There was free beer and food for famous people like myself.

Here are some photos from the event

That's me on the judges podium! I wish you could see a picture of my hair that day. I looked like Afroman. I generally got soaked up there from the splashes. As a rule I gave all the people who splashed me and my fellow judge a one out of ten.


Here's the crowds lined up all the way up the hill. They said they came for the competition, but they stayed for my wit and candor.

Here's one the competitors. We called him 'Mr.Casual' because he just kind of glided in a straight line down the hill and into the water

and slowly glided to a stop and sank.

The best quote of the day came from another kid who said "Oh, It's cold. Oh, It's cold."


This is actually Mr.Casual's second try, and he glid to a stop even further from the finish than the first time.


Unfortunately that's about it for decent photos. There's none of the truly epic wipe-outs. There was this one where this kid face planted into the water and it made a slapping noise so loud it sounded like a gun! So funny! There was also a guy who was dressed up like Batman (Adam West Batman) and lots of funny costumes, but you get the general idea.

Next year I'm definitely going to compete. As soon as I remember how to ski.

Anyway, I'd give a longer update, but these past couple of weeks at work have been kicking my ass. All these people with their demands of me to do my job at work are getting ridiculous! What I think I need to chill out is a good round of Scrabble!

3 comments:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

That's a really good pic of you! Who was taking the photos?

But I don't understand the competition... do you have to clear the water, or just see how far you could go?

Jake Hammell said...

That was my coworker who was also doing some judging. She and I generally go out and do all the silly shenanigan stuff the station is invited out to.

The goal was to clear the water, but everyone generally watches to see the mega wipe outs.

drollgirl said...

you are so funny. i am nose laughing at work so that i don't draw too much attention to myself.

and what a nutball competition. it looks FREEZING and you might boff it and end up in the water!?!?!? no way. not ever. honestly, you couldn't even pay me to put on skis again whether water was involved or not!