Friday 20 March 2009

Hammelltime Rooney

I know I'm not 1,000 years old, but some days I really do feel like Andy Rooney.


For those not in the know, he's the curmudgeon of CBS' 'Sixty Minutes' who comments on the most random things. In particular, how old he is. So to take a page out of the Andy Rooney playbook, here's a list of things I just don't understand.

Cash Back Rebates:
What the hell is a rebate anyway? That is to say, I know what it is - a refund on something you purchased - but why have them? If you're going to give a discount, just take the money off before I buy it! That way I don't end up paying taxes on it, and I save myself the cost of postage for mail-away rebates.

Electric Can Openers:
This is no more convenient than the manual one, and no faster. Not to mention the difficulty of it taking up counter space because you'll probably just leave it plugged in, and the fact that now you have one less plug in. My mother tried to teach me how to use one back in the early nineties, but it was simply beyond me why anyone then would want to something else besides the manual version, and the point still escapes me now.

Maybe once I'm 1,000 years old and my arthritic hands can't use the manual one I'll think about it. But by then all food will come in pill form so it's not a big deal anyway.

Post-It Labeling and Cover-up:
This is the just about the most useless stuff I've owned. I unfortunately use it on a regular basis due to a lack of availability of proper whit out. But believe you me, I'd toss this crap right out if I had my way. It's the same size as that roller white-out, but the problem is that it's less sticky, more noticeable, and looks ugly! Whenever I use it I feel like such a dork! I'll keep my post-it notes and white-out separate thank-you.

Why there's no cupholder in my car:
I drive a 91' Buick Century. It's almost as old as I am, and it's showing its age quite heavily. The interior though is in good condition, except for one thing. There's no cupholder. This really irks me, because I think it encourages me to drive recklessly. If I can't set my drink or Dairy Queen Blizzard somewhere I'm liable to have it sit in my lap or balanced precariously in my hand. Should it spill I'm going to be really distracted and probably cause an accident.
Who ever designed my car should have hot coffee spilt once for every time I've had to drive holding a drink.

Banana Flavoured Milk:
What the heck is this? What are bananas doing in my milk? If banana milk were meant to exist cows would swing from the branches of trees in Southeast Asia.

The little cartoons of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes peeing on stuff:
This is a little vulgar. I don't think I dislike anything enough for me to portray a beloved cartoon character peeing on it. And where do people find these things? I know they're not actually licensed merchandise, so there must be some sort of shady fellow who lives in the back of the Haunted House ride at a small county fair who sells them out of his trenchcoat.

That's about it for now. There's lots of other things I don't understand, but these really highlight the list. What do you personally not understand?

Franz Ferdinand - Ulysses

9 comments:

Grammatically Delicious Designs said...

OK. Hammelltime is a hilarious blog name. My students wouldn't get it though! Only the 80's babies. I love the blog, and thanks so much for the info for my birthday. I am only 7 miles from the border and about 60 from Brandon. I am going to look into it right now. Come follow, too. I'm going to go back and read your blog.

Danielle

drollgirl said...

i like andy rooney! and the old-style can openers are just way better! and you really do need a cup holder in your car.

and why did you have to go and mention dairy queen blizzards?!??!?! dammit, that sounds good.

Jana Sproule IMA said...

"I know they're not actually licensed merchandise, so there must be some sort of shady fellow who lives in the back of the Haunted House ride at a small county fair who sells them out of his trenchcoat."

Oh! That tickled me pink!!!

Personally, I just don't understand those punctuation faces.

You know...like this.... :) or ;) or :>)

They are sideways, people!!!! They don't work!!!!

For the longest time, I thought people were using the codes to makes those little yellow happy faces like you used to see on MSN all the time, but they just weren't working.

Ugh...I don't like them.

Sweet Spectre said...

Haha I love this.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

I agree with everything you listed!

And... because my '78 Olds doesn't have cup holders, I went to Canadian Tire and bought some that you hang in your window. They work great! Unfortunately I broke them all and have to go buy some more now. They were cheap though.

Something that I don't understand is why people compete in food competitions!

Haha just jokes Jake.

drollgirl said...

hey you. loved your meat/shmeat comments!

i love meat. probably almost as much as you do! i think we will be bbqing steak tonight (a sunday ritual!) if the rain stops.

hope you are having a good weekend!

Dave said...

Banana flavored milk makes me think of those medicines they give kids that are banana falovored. Actually if my memory serves me, they were quite tasty. Hmmm I may have to go purchase some banana flavored milk.

Tatiana said...

I know why there are no cupholders in your car. Your brother and I systematically broke them. It was actually a key decision in us getting the car we have...it had to have cupholders...it just had to. So we found one with three cupholders and life was good again.

dancersteven said...

OK, so here is the thing. When I get a Dairy Queen Blizzard, they use that uber-mixer thing that sounds like a dentist's drill (is that the shound they want us to hear while considering the purchase of ice cream). The uber-mixer dentist's drill definitely achieves very good distribution of the topping throughout the ice cream.

However it frequently damages the bottom of the flimsy cardboard cup! Then, when the Blizzard is sitting in my cupholder, melted ice cream leaks out of the bottom of the cup and covers the inside of my cupholder. This is not acceptable. Have you ever tried to clean days old ice cream out of the tiny little corners of a cupholder?