Monday 16 July 2012

Summer Movies

Since I’ve been incredibly lazy at updating my blog, it’s time for en masse update!

 I moved into a new house, and until a couple weeks ago, it was perfect. But then a heatwave rolled across the prairies, and my house turned into a sauna. I bought an air conditioner to cool down the bedroom, so everything is good in there, but everywhere else is as hot as can be.

To keep cool, my girlfriend and I have been spending a lot of time in air conditioned theatres. The summer movies have all started to migrate their way into poor-people theatres and I went to movies about 3 times over the past week’s period.

So I’m here to give you the poor-person review on movies that almost everyone has seen already!


First up,
 21 Jump Street.


A buddy cop comedy about two youthful looking officers out to bust a drug-ring in a highschool. Long story short, it was funny, but I didn’t find myself busting a gut like some people had suggested I might. If you have no other options and don’t want to think too hard about what you’re watching, I’d recommend it.

 Overall, I give 21 Jump Street a
 6.5/10 


The Hunger Games


A Teen novel sensation turned movie! It takes place in a dystopic future where there are two very distinct classes of people. The upperclass, and then everyone else. These folk struggle day-to-day in 12 different poverty stricken districts. Every year, from each district, two teenagers are sent to compete in “The Hunger Games;” A bloody arena death-match that takes place in a Truman Show style forest from which the carnage is broadcast around the country.

For the most part I really enjoyed this movie. I like that dystopian future movies are catching on, and I’m excited to see where this franchise goes. Although I could tell by a few scenes that this is a teen movie, I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. If you don’t like gore, don’t see this movie. But if you’d like a flick with action and romance plus a bit of humour here and there, it's totally worth checking out!

Overall, I give the Hunger Games

9/10

 Finally, the last film on the list is also the most recently released,

 Ted

 Mark Whalberg has a Teddy bear who, through the magic of a little boy's wish, came alive. Flash forward 27 years, and they’re both stuck in a childhood they never grew out of. They smoke dope all day, drink, and are generally irresponsible. If you boil this review down, it amounts to one question: Do you enjoy Seth Macfarlane's comedy? If not, you won't like this movie. But if you do, you’ll probably bust a gut. Mark Whalberg was hilarious in this!

Overall, I give Ted

 7.5/10 

And that’s about it, so far it’s been a great summer for the movies, and there’s a TON of great movies left to come out. Stay tuned, and I’ll actually be doing something one of these days a bit more interesting.

No comments: