Thursday 8 September 2011

Final review of the Month of Less, But not all the Fewer Unhealthy Things

So the month of Less, But not all that Fewer Unhealthy Things was an outright failure in terms of goals, keep reading to hear why. As for results, just skip to the bottom if you're after that.

Here were the goals:




  • No more than 2 drinks a week



  • No potato chips (including baked chips, or tortilla chips)
The whole “only two drinks a week” thing? I think by the end of week one I’d had more drinks than I was supposed to have all month. But, what I did discover is that mid-week drinking binges aren’t as much fun as they used to be, especially since I get up a half-hour earlier than I used to. So, drinking during the week? I’ll have maybe 3 max over the course of 5 the weekdays. On the weekends however, that was a different story.




  • Weekend 1: My buddy Chad came over with a case of beer. We drank most of it.



  • Weekend 2: Kept it a little under control



  • Weekend 3: Had a wedding to go to, drank a lot of beer all weekend.



  • Weekend 4: Not so bad.
Fact: By looking at this, you can tell which weeks I got paid ..

As for the chips? I did fairly well, except for when the Saskatoon Ex was in town. They had these “Spiral potatoes” which I thought were going to be like a giant curly fry. Don’t ask me why, that just how I pictured it.





So I bought a bucket of them (the smallest amount they had) and guess what? They’re homemade potato chips. I was mad about it, so mad I decided to eat them since the bucket cost me 7 bucks, but I threw them away about ¾ of the way through, because they just weren’t that great.

I resisted temptations around every corner though. Road trips are usually a time when I’ll get a little snack bag of chips, and I fought the urge off, even when my girlfriend was chomping down on them and going “Mmmmm…these are soooo good.”

There was even a couple days at work when a box of free chips showed up, and every was like “Hey Jake, you can have a bag, they’re not even REAL chips!”

But I still resisted.

Well, until the 31st that is. I gave up on that day and bought a bag of All Dressed Ruffle chips and proceeded to eat nearly all of them.



It gave me a bad stomach ache. I regretted the decision almost immediately.

So, would I try again? For sure! I lost a belt size, and my pants are falling off me now. I didn’t step on a scale (couldn’t find one) so I don’t know how my weight changed. So obviously something worked. But I would do it during a month when not a lot was going on. Summer is just a bad time to do a no-drinking exercise, no denying that.

So what now? Maybe I’ll do a month of exercise on the Wii Fit, just for shits and giggles once the snow falls. That thing actually tracks your weight, so that would be neat!
Before and after photos will be taken for sure.

I’ll keep you posted on my Lazy Man Health and Fitness Routine.


No music, just something that makes me laugh really hard:




1 comment:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Losing a belt size is nothing to laugh it! Great work Jake, even if you think you failed horribly. Now that the seed is planted you'll do much better when you try again!