Monday 26 September 2011

Not so Long Ago in a Place Not so Far Away

I've written some really terrible ads. I mean awful advertisements. Some stuff that really makes me cringe just to think back on it. There's a difference too between writing a bad ad with the intention of doing something funny, and the ones that make you feel bad for subjecting people to it.

For example, I once wrote an ad in which the client requested I put police sirens in the intro to "Catch people's attention."

Well, here's something that nobody should find suprising, radio listeners really fucking hate that shit. I'm serious. They REALLY hate that. Sort of like when you spray a cat with Windex.

It's almost a driving hazard when you're cruising through the city and you hear sirens going off. You start looking around, thinking that the police or an ambulance are riding up on you, and then it just turns out somebody wants to sell you flooring or Troll Beads.

I formally apologize to Grande Prairie, Alberta for doing that to you on numerous occasions. I really didn't want to, but you know how it is, gotta pay rent, food, all that stuff.

But if there's one type of ad I think is even worse than the obnoxcious siren ads, it's the painful character ads. You know, when someone tries to rip-off popular characters in hilarious ways? I hate that stuff.

Today I was doing research on Youtube for ads on garage door openers, and I came across this hilariously bad gem! For the Star Wars fans out there, this is a good'er.



It's painful.

It makes me writhe in discomfort.

It makes truly worried that the creator was even the slightest bit serious about this. I'm sure he must be joking, but I do have my concerns.

Anyway, that's all I have for today. If there are some ads out there you really hate, please share them. I always enjoy watching bad ads, or hearing why people hate them.

Said the Whale - Camilo(The Magician)



1 comment:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Sirens on the radio is the WORST omg I freaking hate that! It gets me every time!

As for the garage door ad... wow. Lamest ad ever! It kind of looks like the owner of the company asked his teenaged son to throw something together for him because his son took a multimedia class and that somehow makes him qualified. LOL