Monday 29 August 2011

Seeing Blink 182

I won some tickets on Friday to go see Blink 182 when they were in town, and holy shazbot, was that ever a good show. I'll show you two of the only pictures I took of the night, but this shit actually happened.




That is Blink 182 drummer Travis Barker being hoisted above the crowd on a mechanical stage. It tipped forward as well at a 45 degree angle, so he was strapped in there fairly well.

It was an awesome show! If you've seen Blink 182 in interviews or their music videos, they looks like guys who geniunely have fun performing, and you can by their live show that these boys like what they do. Between every song they'd do some pretty juvenile banter like:


"I heard that 80% of males in Saskatoon like to have a finger up their butt. I wiki'd that shit. - Tom Delonge"

Yes, that is an actual quote from the concert, and yes, I giggled like a little boy who just heard a fart joke.


In addition to seeing Blink, Against Me! and Rancid opened for them. Against Me was awesome! I had the distinct feeling that only %20 of the audience knew who they were, and I didn't even know they were opening for them so that was a wicked surprise!

But then there was Rancid. Honestly, I've never heard of the guys. Apparently they were pretty big in the 90s, I recognized only one song they played. They super-sucked. The lead singer must have been high on something, because no sober person thinks that plucking your guitar and spinning in a circle is a legit dance move.

I'm not kidding about that either, he spun in circles at least 3 times every song. Then he'd stop, look at his guitar and rip out a really lame guitar solo. He even took a sit-down at one point.


His skinny jeans were also hanging down past his ass. Maybe the dude has an incredibly long torso and as a result is icredibly low waisted, or maybe he just spun himself around one too many times and as a result can no longer dress himself propoerly, but everything about him made Rancid's show seem like a very long, bad sounding, 50 minute train-wreck.

I tried to get a picture of this, but this was all I snapped:


This is the dude in mid spin.

Sorry Manitoba folk, Blink already came through your area, but for everyone else, I highly recommend the show. Sitting through Rancid is totally worth it!

No comments: