Tuesday 2 August 2011

The Month of Less, but Not All that Fewer, Unhealthy Things

So last night I was thinking about setting personal goals just for shits and giggles, and I thought I might try not drinking for one solid month.

Since moving to Saskatchewan where the price of liquor is dictated by a VERY conservative liquor board, I’ve curbed the casual drinking back significantly. It’s just not cost effective here. I mentioned this to my girlfriend who said something along the lines of

“That’s a good idea, but you could choose a better month to do it. We’re going to the horse races this weekend for a staff function. You won’t have even one beer?”

“No problem” I replied. “I can do that!”

“And then the next week is Saskatoon Ex…”

“Oh…” I said, “That’s trouble.”

“And then there’s a wedding to go to after that!”

So August may not be the best month to start a sobriety marathon. Especially considering that having a casual drink or two on a patio is awesome, and the summer weather has been spectacular in Saskatoon.

However, there’s a second thing I definitely could cut back on:


Eating Chips.


I love potato chips. I can’t stop myself once I get into a bag (or box) of them. Despite my best efforts I find myself eating them about twice a week. I don’t even have to particularly like the flavour; it’s all the salty goodness I crave. Let me loose on a bag of Old Dutch Ketchup, or Ruffles All Dressed, and they’ll be demolished.


Eating a huge amount of salt and bad carbs like that is terrible for the body, so it may be a good thing to lay off those for a while. So here’s the challenge I’m setting out for myself:

No more than two drinks a week for the entire month of August, zero total preferably.

And no potato chips AT ALL.

I think I’ll find a blood pressure machine and test that, as well as do a weigh-in just for scientific purposes. I really don’t exercise outside of my minimum half-hour of walking every day, so let’s see what less drinking and less salt does for an out-of-shape 22 year old.

Thus officially begins:

The Month of Less, but Not All that Fewer, Unhealthy Things

Wish me luck!

Billy Currington - Pretty Good at Drinkin' Beer



2 comments:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Good luck, I know you can do it!

Perhaps it will help if you use the mind set, "I'm not eliminating chips and beer from my diet, I'm just adding vegetables and water."

After eating all those carrots and hummus dip you'll be too full for chips and beer!

John said...

Its easier to stick to if you track the changes, so do weigh yourself. Though if you're like me, it isn't the weight, its the circumference of the stomach that changes.