Wednesday 11 May 2011

On the Verge of a Breakup

My car and I have been like peas in a pod. Her name is Glenda, and she's my first car I ever bought and paid for with my own dollars. I got her after the brake lines rusted through and broke on my old Buick. To replace the brake lines would have meant replacing the equally rusted fuel lines.

Altogether, it would have cost me more to fix the vehicle than it was worth. Plus, insurance renewal time was coming up, and being that I had an out-of-province car, it would need a fresh gamut of inspections and repairs to be brought up to snuff for the crooked privatized insurance industry of Alberta.

So, to the wreckers my Buick went. Two weeks later, I was the proud owner of a 94' Mercury Grande Marquis.
This isn't actually Glenda

The end of this month will mark our two year anniversary. But, the honeymoon period is long over. Since last fall, she's been giving me nothing but trouble. My fuel line was rusty, and leaking. This severely limited my ability to drive over raging infernos.
This situation comes up more often than you'd think

After a fix on the cheap though, she was patched up, and lasted another 3 months before the same thing happened again.

On top of this, since all this fuel line trouble happened, she's been a thirsty girl. Gas is expensive, and her economy is terrible. Far worse than usual actually, even compared to when most of my gas was pouring out of a rusty fuel line.

Since this fuel trouble started though, there's been other issues. When I'm idling at stop lights, the engine starts to shake, and then it stalls. No problem starting up again though, and she runs fine when she's actually driving around, but stalling at stop lights is rather unsettling.

I've been reading online and talking to people, and nobody is totally sure what's wrong.

Is it the sparkplugs misfiring? Is it dirty fuel injectors? Is is something with the air intake? Is too much of something getting in? Or is it not enough of something else?

The extent of my car knowledge extends to windshield washer fluid, air filters, checking the oil, and changing tires (a surprisingly effective cost saver).

Luckily, I know a few people who are good with cars who are happy to lend a hand. But this shit is difficult! If there's one thing I've learned to appreciate over the past few months, it's that people who are good with cars are extremely valuable. I think a good summer project would be to take a basics of automotive care course, that kind of stuff pays for itself. Especially when you can only afford to drive jalopies.

I would totally drive this

So, if any gear heads have any ideas, I'm all ears. Or better yet, if somebody has a car that's saftied in Saskatchewan they'd like to sell, let me know. I may be in the market sooner than I realize.

Our Lady Peace - 4 am

6 comments:

John said...

There's a police auction in Regina every Saturday- Its a fun day out with the kids!

http://www.reginaautoauction.com/carview.php?cur_page=4

Maxwell ! said...

First, have you ever changed Glenda's spark plugs? If so, the points in the distributor cap could be rusty. Simple fix is to take off the cap and clean em up. A new cap itself isn't overly expensive.

I'd just dump the car when you move, it's not worth trying to put it through a sask safety. John mentioned the police aution, you could buy a Glenda clone with the cop engine.

Maxwell ! said...

You'd be better off getting something more economical, gas is 1.35 per liter here. Lets find you another Jiloppy of the Honda Civic variety

Jake Hammell said...

I bought a set of spark plugs actually, and am changing them out tomorrow hopefully. They cost me $20 for 8, and a case of beer which will be around $16. The place I get my oil changed wanted to charge me $80. Can you believe that? The oil change at Midas? Good deal. Everything else? Bad deal.

As for the police auction, you bet I'll be checking that out! There's car auctions in Saskatoon too. So when you come for a visit in the summer, you can bet we're checking one of those out!

Maxwell ! said...

Sounds good man! This summer I should really show you how to do some car repairs. Changing plugs are very easy. P.S. If you are doing your plugs you should likely do your wires too. Kinda a rule of thumb.

Unknown said...

Jack Hammell says that you need to change your fuel filter