Thursday 3 March 2011

15 Years of Toil

I finally met a momentous landmark earlier this week. It's something that I've been striving after for fifteen years. Tuesday, March 1st 2011, I finally beat the computer game Ragnarok:


I was first introduced this game back when I was just a wee boy by my older brother. I don't know how he got a hold of it, but he did, and soon he had beaten it. But me? I struggled and struggled. Through the years on every computer I come across, be it home, work, or school, I have downloaded and played this simple DOS game. Always, the finish line eluded me. My younger even beat this game years before me.

It has an agonizingly cruel learning curve, and even the most seasoned of gamers will be chewed up and spit out dozens, even hundreds of times before even coming close to finishing it. There is a definite science to beating it, but that has as much to with luck as it does skill.

To make it even harder, when you die, all your saved games are deleted as well. You're set up before you even begin to lose this game.

But I finally beat it. I can close this chapter of my life.

Or maybe I'll start it all over again.

If you want to play it, you can download it for free. Digital cameras literally take pictures with file-sizes larger than this game.


Although sometimes you'll feel like you're banging your head against a wall by playing this, that pain feels curiously good. Give it a try if you like, and get ready for an agonizing decade.

2 comments:

Jay said...

To be fair, I save-cheated quite a bit when I won the first few times.

Congratulations, sir.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

"Do me Ragnarok Master, Do me!"

lmfao

Great job Jake!