Friday 25 February 2011

Oscar Night 2011

The only awards show I actually pay attention to is on this Sunday night, the 83rd Academy Awards. There are some great movies and actors poised to take home small, naked, golden men.

There's 24 categories (I think) but I'm just going to predict the big five for brevity's sake as best I can, as this year I didn't get see as many of the nominated movies as I would have liked.

Skip to the bottom to see a quick list

Best Suppourting actress:
  • Amy Adams – The Fighter as Charlene Fleming
  • Helena Bonham Carter – The King's Speech as Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon / Queen Elizabeth
  • Melissa Leo – The Fighter as Alice Ward
  • Hailee Steinfeld – True Grit as Mattie Ross
  • Jacki Weaver – Animal Kingdom as Janine "Smurf" Cody
In this category, I've seen all of these movies but Animal Kingdom, but of them, I think Hailee Steinfeld will take the award. She's young, she had a memorable and solid performance, she didn't get overshadowed by her two very impressive co-actors, and the academy has shown favoritism to breakout roles in the past.
Plus, I didn't think the actresses of The Fighter or The Kings Speech, while notable, were all that award worthy.

Best Supporting Actor

  • Christian Bale – The Fighter as Dicky Eklund
  • John Hawkes – Winter's Bone as Teardrop
  • Jeremy Renner – The Town as James "Jem" Coughlin
  • Mark Ruffalo – The Kids Are All Right as Paul
  • Geoffrey Rush – The King's Speech as Lionel Logue
This will be one the awards to look forward to. Christian Bale is a god damn doppelganger! He moves in and out of role after role so seamlessly it's hard to believe that this man plays Batman. As the former champ boxer turned crack addict Bale stole every scene he was in in the Fighter. I think he'll take the award.
However, Roger Ebert thinks Geoffrey Rush will take this one, and it's hard to disagree with him. Rush was excellent, engaging, entertaining, eloquent, if he wins this award I won't be surprised, but I will be disappointed.

Best Actress
  • Annette Bening – The Kids Are All Right as Nic
  • Nicole Kidman – Rabbit Hole as Becca Corbett
  • Jennifer Lawrence – Winter's Bone as Ree Dolly
  • Natalie Portman – Black Swan as Nina Sayers
  • Michelle Williams – Blue Valentine as Cindy
I only saw one of these movies, and it was Black Swan. So by default, I have to pick Natalie Portman. But despite my lack of familiarity, I doubt that I'm wrong. Portman's performance was phenomenal.

Best Actor
  • Javier Bardem – Biutiful as Uxbal
  • Jeff Bridges – True Grit as Rooster Cogburn
  • Jesse Eisenberg – The Social Network as Mark Zuckerberg
  • Colin Firth – The King's Speech as Prince Albert / King George VI
  • James Franco – 127 Hours as Aron Ralston
You know what? I only saw three of these movies, but I think the competition is only between two of them, Colin Firth and James Franco. In my heart of hearts, I want to see Franco win. His performance in 127 hours was amazing, as the film's almost entirely sole actor, he truly had to "act."
But, I'm going to guess Colin Firth. You could almost feel the pain and frustration his character suffered. It made you want to shake the man. Plus, The Academy likes brits. I'll be happy to see either win.

And Finally...

Best Picture
  • 127 Hours
  • Black Swan
  • The Fighter
  • Inception
  • The Kids Are All Right
  • The King's Speech
  • The Social Network
  • Toy Story 3
  • True Grit
  • Winter's Bone
This is an amazing list of movies right here. I hate how there's ten nominees, I think it cheapens the category, but I understand how it would be hard to limit your choices.

If best picture were up to me, I think I'd have to give it to Black Swan. It was a film in which the lead actress truly gave it her all. The visual effects and cinemetography were creepy, yet engrossing. The way you began to question what was happening in the film as Portman's reality became distorted was mindblowing.

But, what will The Academy pick? the King's Speech probably. Once more, Brits are something they like, history based movies are something they like, and it really was an amazing movie.

To hell with the Academy though, I think Black Swan will take it. I really hope it does.

So, to recap:
  • Best Suppourting Actress - Haley Steinfeld
  • Best Suppourting Actor - Christian Bale
  • Best Actress - Natalie Portman
  • Best Actor - Colin Firth
  • Best Picture - Black Swan

Your picks? Your likes and dislikes? I want to hear them all!

Smashing Pumpkins - Perfect

No comments: