Monday 15 November 2010

What didn't sex ed teach you in school?

I was reading the forums on Reddit.com today, and came across this comment in reply to a question “What didn't sex ed teach you in school?”:

“I could label a vas deferens and urethra on a diagram of a penis, but they never actually said what the penis was for.”

Suddenly I was hit with a vivid memory of Sex Ed in grade 5.

Labeling the genitals.

We were given a quick test after learning all the different parts of both male and female reproductive organs; Label the major parts of a penis and a vagina on a diagram.

Me being the diligent student I was at that age, I could have labeled both diagrams %100 correct, but a terrible truth had popped in my head. I was dead-set convinced that if I got all answers right on the female diagram, everyone would think I was a pervert. But on the opposite hand, if I got all the questions right on the penis everyone would naturally assume I was gayer than Elton John.

So, stuck between a rock and a hard place, I came up with a genius solution only a ten year old could think of (Before you ask, it wasn't to label both diagrams %100 correct).

I scribbled down my answers whilst glancing to and fro to make sure nobody was looking my way or stealing my idea. I strode up to the front of the class, handed my paper in as if I were presenting the teacher with the map to El Dorado itself, and smugly took my seat. She quickly marked each test, and passed them back.

When the results came back, I had scored %55 correct on male genitals, %55 on the female genitals.

High enough to pass, to not look like a perv, and to not look gay. Thinking back on it though, it's a good thing I didn't know about bisexuality in grade 5. Think of the rumors that one might have started!

2 comments:

XOXO said...

You're my hero. Seriously.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

I don't remember labelling genitals in school. I remember everyone giggling and blushing every time the teacher said penis and we'd get in trouble for it. LOL