Tuesday 2 November 2010

Review: Flipped

Flipped

Directed by Rob Reiner


Flipped follows the lives of two kids in the late 1950s. A girl who instantly falls in love with the new boy who's moved in across the street from her, and the new boy who is quite annoyed by the advances of this young lass. As they grow up, their feelings and relationship change, blah blah blah, you get the gist.

I totally did not have expectations of what this film was going to be about. I'd heard of it in passing, never seen a preview, and by reading it's synopsis I assumed it was a chick flick. But, since the bowling alley was %100 packed last night, I opted for a date-night featuring a movie instead.

Coming out of the theatre, I was blown away. This was an excellent film! I got completely sucked in by the multitude of characters, the cinematography was so rich and bright, the story was equal parts funny and compelling, and it was just an excellent movie.

It's unique feature is that it flips first person perspective throughout the film. So you hear the lead male's point of view about what he thinks of this creepy stalker neighbor girl, and then the same story is retold but from the little girl's perspective. It was great! And so well written too. Fifty years difference or not, this movie goes to show that pubescent kids really do think the same way now as they did then.

Overall I give Flipped:

8.5/10

The Pros: It was funny, it looked great, the dialogue was memorable, and it's unique approach to storytelling was a totally fresh perspective.

The Cons: Flipped didn't waste a lot of time at any point in the movie except for one small portion in the middle. Although I praise this movie for it's quick paced plot, I also have to take half a point away from it for the ending. While it was quite good, I felt that resolution was too quick/inconsistent with the tone of the last ten minutes or so of the movie.

This is a movie anyone aged 12 and up would really enjoy. It definitely hasn't gotten enough press or mention (that I've seen). If you're looking for a good way to spend an evening, go sit your rear end in the theatre and see Flipped.

No comments: