Monday 11 January 2010

Things I Want To Waste Money On

I've been a Star Wars geek for a long long time, so when cool new Star Wars stuff comes out I still get a little excited. One of the main story elements of the series has always been The Force, and now you can bring it home to enjoy for your very own!

Presenting: Star Wars Force Trainer


This has been out for a while, but it still blows my mind every time. What happens is that a sensor picks up your brainwaves, breaks them down into a signal, and that signal is transmitted to the toy where it activates a fan that lifts a ball up and down, giving you the illusion of manipulating the force.

There's another, slightly more advanced version of this toy, in which you guide the ball using your mind through an obstacle course.


The price for either of these toys comes in at more than $100. I won't be wasting my money on these just yet, but maybe when they get more complicated and intricate I'll invest.

Using the technology as it is though, I could easily construct a device to turn the lights on and off in my house, which would be a great party trick.

But with great power comes great responsibility, and if we're not careful the whole thing could up looking like the movie Matilda:

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

I love this line: "giving you the illusion of manipulating the force"... Damn right it's only an illusion! The force cannot be manipulated! (Except by perhaps Chuck Norris... not THAT'S a Star Wars film I want to see...)

Chelsea Ribbon said...

I was expecting those toys to cost way more than $100!!! If I was a fan, I could justify spending that much money on something that cool!

Let me know if you get it because I want to play!

Also, Matilda rocks! I've dreamed of having her powers for many years now!