Thursday 7 January 2010

Blood Money

Canada's Junior Hockey Team lost the gold medal game to the United States this past Tuesday. It's quite the feat, since Canada has gone undefeated at the Junior World Championships for the past 5 years.


Now I feel for the boys, they had big shoes to step in to, a major winning streak like that isn't easy to carry on, and this is one of the greatest grudge matches you can imagine.

Like I said, in the end, the US went home victorious with a 6-5 win in overtime and left Saskatchewan with a hard-won gold medal.

Just like I took home a hard-won TWENTY BUCKS for betting on the Yanks!




I've been called names, I've been scolded for carrying around blood money, and I'm pretty sure my coworker who eats, sleeps, and breathes hockey is considering murdering me. But I'm up twenty bones, so they can suck it.

Yeah, it would have been nice to see Canada win. But Canada winning a few hockey games doesn't put bread, or beer, on my table.

This tidy little profit has got me thinking too. The Winter Olympics, which are being held in Vancouver are just around the bend, February 12th to be precise. If I play my cards right this could be a nice post-holiday bonus for Jake Hammell.



Let it be stated that I'm not rooting against Canada, I'm still going to cheer for them the entire way. But let's say Canada isn't #1 at everything; If I place a few bets, play some odds, and happen to win a few times this could be a good thing for everyone! I'll be doing Canada's fans a service by reminding them that blind pride can be your downfall, and you need to look abroad and appreciate what other countries have to offer.

Because isn't the spirit of team-work and togetherness what the Olympic games are really about?



So, who wants to make a bet?

Kim Mitchell - I Am A Wild Party

1 comment:

drollgirl said...

well i am glad you are richer, even if the entire country is ashamed of your actions. a haha. just kidding. beer money is important!