Wednesday 7 November 2012

A Trip down Memory Lane… and into Bonanza

This week a coworker took me to lunch at Bonanza. I don’t remember how it came about, but months ago he said he’d take me since nobody besides us ever wants to eat at Bonanza.

I haven’t set foot in a Bonanza since I was at most 11 years old. A trip into Brandon (and possibly Minot, ND) often guaranteed at stop at this famous steakhouse. As I walked through the doors yesterday I was reminded of years gone by. For those who’ve never been, allow me describe it to you.



 Located on beautiful 8th Street Saskatoon. Such a scenic location!

Bonanza isn’t just a restaurant, it’s an experience. You begin it as soon as you step in the doors a cattle chute of high-wood panels that gently guided you to the till where you order your meal. EVERY meal comes with the salad buffet.

Once you’re seated, you lay into the salad bar, which is an unorganized rodeo of lettuce, dressing, bacon bits, cheese, and perogies constantly mobbed by the elderly who you carefully navigate around. Finally, you return to your seat and wolf down as much of your salad/perogie meal as you can before the waiter brings your steak.

This isn't the actual salad bar from yesterday, but I'm %800 sure the ultra-nineties gold trim was there

The steak itself is decently sized, and well prepared considering it only cost $11.50. After you struggle through another massive course of steak, complimented by garlic bread, & a baked potato or fries, you lay back for a breather.

But no, you’re not finished yet; the best is yet to come. Yesterday I didn’t complete this final leg of the Bonanza Experience, but when I was a kid, this was my favourite part:

UNLIMITED

ICE CREAM 


No human body over 12 years old is designed to handle the quantities of ice cream that Bonanza encourages you to consume. You can’t help but serve yourself monstrous, gargantuan, bowls of ice cream one after the other until you pass-out from dairy overload.

 I remarked to my coworker that I can see why my parents would take us kids to Bonanza: You can’t beat the sheer quantity of food you get for how much you spend. He replied,

 “…And then the kids pass out after eating, which would be great for the car ride home!” 
 It all makes perfect sense now. My parents didn’t just enjoy the food; they were after the Bonanza Blackout that follows. I completely understand too, wrangling three to five kids during a two hour drive home would take some effort.

Sadly the Bonanza in Brandon, like many others across Canada closed its doors long ago. It was nice to revisit though, and I don’t see why people are having such a hard time believing me when I tell them I actually had a really decent meal there. Next time someone visits me in Saskatoon, you KNOW where I’m taking you for dinner...

BONANZA!

1 comment: