Monday 9 April 2012

Trippin' Across Alberta

I was in Grande Prairie this past weekend to visit friends I haven’t seen in almost a year, and my girlfriend’s family. It was an awesome time, but the best part is the 9 hour drive.

Maybe not so much, but yesterday Jen and I decided to break the trip up a little and stop at a few of the landmarks that we always cruise by, but never stop and see. So here’s a few of the local landmarks we passed on our way to Saskatoon yesterday!

First up, the Crooked Creek Ice-Cream Cone!

It’s a hard ice-cream shack. Jen tells me that when she was little, the cherry on the top had a light in it that would rotate and flash when the cone was open, and she would beg her parents to stop and get ice-cream when they’d drive by.

Next up, The Jets sign in Valleyview!

Little known fact, the Winnipeg Jets never actually left Canada. It was all a clever ruse, and they actually moved to Valleyview Alberta.

Then we stopped in Mayerthorpe to see the Fallen Four Memorial.

This was actually a really nice memorial, and we took a few extra minutes here to look around. It’s bigger than it looks, and if you’re ever driving north of Edmonton it’s definitely worth the five or ten minutes it takes to stop and see.

Finally, we made one last stop in Vegreville to see the giant Ukrainian Egg.

I’ve been in Vegreville 3 times now, and this is first time it wasn’t an emergency stop.
The first time was when one of my ties blew out and I had a three hour layover in the saddest Canadian Tire, with pretty much nothing in it, I’d ever seen.

The Second time I was with a bunch of guys making a fuel stop as we were running on fumes at 2 in the morning.

And this time, seeing as how yesterday was Easter Monday, it was a very appropriate stop. It was sunny, warm, and the Hudderites were out playing baseball.

At this point, we both got sick of making these stops and drove home uninterrupted. I hope you've enjoyed the photographic tour! Next time I have a long drive, I’ll let you know where I’m going, and you can let me know what and where the highlights are.

Happy Belated Easter!

1 comment:

jordun said...

i cant belive you found one of thoose ice cream cones my dad built thoose when i was like five years old