Monday 4 July 2011

The Tale of a New Car and a Shattered Light

It's been just about three weeks since an update and this blog is well overdue for some fresh material.

Skipping through all the boring details of the new job, new apartment, and lifestyle changes, here's a photo of something that happened roughly an hour and a half ago:
That, my friends, is a shattered globe from a light fixture. How it ended up on the floor is a long convoluted tale, complete with photos! So, lets start at the beginning.

This story begins back in Alberta. My car insurance was stupidly expensive, and my car plates were about to run out. So I said "I'm not going to pay a single cent more to this damn privatized insurance racket!" and told my insurer that I wasn't going to pay my insurance bills after June, so they'd better cancel my policy. This wasn't a very prudent decision in hindsight, but I digress.
I drove my car (Glenda) to Saskatoon, and she was great on the highway! It was a fine final cruise to take with her. The end of June approached and I decided to it was time to get my car safetied to I could pick up some Saskatchewan insurance.

Well, as it turns out, SGI inspections are seriously tough cookies when it comes to out-of-province cars. My passenger side visor clip was broken, my heater only ran on high, and my wipers work kind of funnily, all of these, among other things, stopped my car from getting safetied. Seriously.

So it was time for a new ride! My dear old dad, who is better with cars than I could ever hope to be, found a couple of chariots. I settled on an '05 Ford 500. It's pretty nice!
Although I miss the bench seating that Glenda had, and from a full stop the 500 doesn't have as much power, it's got way better brakes, suspension, a CD player instead of cassettes, better climate control, windows that work, and a very comparable trunk compared to my old car. Plus it's not as terrible on fuel.

So I went to Pierson to get the car and visit with family. My niece Elizabeth was there, and since I saw her at Christmas she screams a lot less and can suppourt the weight of her own head now.
Before I left my mom put together a package of towels and stuff that I had left in Pierson from my highscool graduation. One of things she snuck in was a Sou'wester from Nova Scotia I got when I was a young teenager. When I got home to Saskatoon, I was describing this hat to my girlfriend over the phone, and she had no idea what it looked like. So I told her I'd take a picture of me wearing it.

Fast forward to today.

After work I cleaned Glenda out (as best as you can without a vacuum) and was going to take a couple pictures to put online with an ad. As I grabbed my camera I though "Hey, I have this silly hat here, I'll get two birds stoned at once and take a picture of me with it on!"

So I set the camera ever so carefully on a ledge. I delicately put the camera's timer to the two second mark, and hit the picture button.

At the last second, I decided it would be a good idea to wave at the camera. I threw my hand up, smacked the light globe, and tried to catch it.

This is of course when the camera took the picture.
You can see the globe just off the corner there, barely out of my reach. Which is how I ended up with this:
I had to drive to Canadian Tire, where I thought I could fine a globe and a broom in one shot, but no dice. Just the broom. The globes I wanted were all sold out.


And so that is how This:



and This:


Equaled this:

And that my friends, is why you don't take silly pictures of yourself while unattended.


RJD2 - 1976



1 comment:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

LMAO best photo essay ever!