Monday 11 July 2011

Dear Tomato...




I was wrong.



There, I said it. It’s taken years to admit, but I was wrong. I’ve originally avoided you because I honestly didn’t like you. Your friends tomato sauce and ketchup, who are loaded with sugar and salt were cool, but I didn’t like you just by yourself.

However, I’ve come around. I decided to give you a fair chance after a friend’s husband said “I used to hate tomatoes too, but I just decided to put with them.”

So I took baby steps. I started with diced tomatoes in a wrap one night, and stomached them just fine. The mushy texture was masked by the delicious goodness of crispy chicken.

Then, another day while I was eating out I received a salad with my meal. It had tomatoes in it. I ate those too.

Finally, the tipping point came this past weekend when I was at the horse track. It was around 8:30 and I hadn’t eaten since noon. So I got a burger from the canteen. I was standing at the garnish line, looking for pickles, when I saw the tray of tomato slices. I added one large slice.


I actually added tomato. It wasn’t already on the food, I willingly threw on the burger.

So tomato, I’m sorry I avoided you for so long. My tastebuds are different now! I like foods now that I never used to touch (mushrooms for example), and you can join the club.

So, see you later tomato, maybe I’ll see you on a BLT sometime?

PS:
Dear onion, you’re not so bad either. I’m not quite sure if we’re friends like the tomato yet, but I’m trying.

PPS:
Dear apples, I still hate you. Don’t even try and compare yourself to oranges, who are delicious and fun to eat.

Mr. Mister - Broken Wings



No comments: