Monday 7 June 2010

Stop Drop and Get Nostalgic

Today I received a package in the mail from Assiniboine Community College, where I went to media school.

Inside was a shirt with the college's station logo on it. It just so happens that CJ106 is the very first station I ever went on the air with. If I remember correctly I completely bombed and made a jackass of myself; Not that making a jackass of myself is anything out of the ordinary.

My radio instructor sent this to me after she asked for a quick little voice over from me where I'd state my name, station, and job title. Apparently there's a commercial playing on CJ106 with me in it now, and my friends who heard were quite excited to tell me about it.

So this got me in a reflective mood, and I thought I'd share a few things from my college radio days. Here's the poster from my very own radio show "Stop, Drop, and Rock" which I co-hosted for two seasons.

Here's a god-awful commercial I made for season 1. I know it's hard to believe, but now I do this for a living.



Below is another commercial, this one from the second season. Aside from technical issues, is much better, and demonstrates my honest-to-goodness hatred for apples.



At the time, I thought my show was the bee's knees! Especially when we ended the second season with a 24 hour radio show. That was one long train wreck, and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep a few times. But you know what I discovered during that day-long show? Iced Tea mix makes an awesome replacement for coffee sugar!

Looking back on it now I'm surprised I have a job in radio at all. But that's how it goes right? Pretty much anyone can look back at what they did in college and say one of two things:
A) "What was I thinking?"
and
B)"How much was drinking?"

The answer to both of those questions are directly related!

A) You weren't thinking.
B) You weren't thinking because you were drinking.
C) Because you were drinking you weren't too worried about the thinking.

Finally, one more note:

I never handed in my final papers after practicum to get my diploma (sorry Bob). I'm not %100 sure if I even have a diploma, but I think this t-shirt counts as proof of an accredited media degree.
Employers will buy that one, right?

No comments: