Thursday 17 December 2009

Sweatshop Union Live

This past Tuesday evening I got to see one of all-time favourite groups, Sweatshop Union, live in Grande Prairie.

Even Santa came out for the show

They're a hip-hop crew out of Vancouver who don't really range too far out of the bigger metropolitan areas in B.C. and Alberta. I never imagined I'd get to see them without at least 5 hours of driving, so imagine my surprise when I'm sitting at home (probably playing Playstation) on Sunday night and my roommate bursts in the door and announces:

"Dude, Sweatshop Union is coming to Fred's THIS TUESDAY NIGHT!!!"

Boosh! I'm there! Especially since this turn of fortunes means that they're performing live at this little bar that's just three blocks from my house! For the next two days I thought of nothing but Sweatshop.

Long story short, the show was completely wicked. The little dance floor was packed, I got to see them perform only mere away inches from the stage, and there was dancing and singing all night long. There's no better way to see your favourite musicians than in a little bar surrounded by a little crowd of thirty people who love the band just as much you.


Afterwards I met a few guys from the group and it didn't go over quite as I had imagined:



I bought a T-Shirt and their new album "Water Street" to commemorate the best Tuesday night ever.


On the topic of Water Street, it's great continuation of Sweatshop's music legacy and message of anti-corporatism and humanism, and with 23 tracks of awesomeness, it's a must have for anyone who likes music with a message.

So, the Sweatshop Union show in Grande Prairie gets two huge thumbs up. Best of all, I know they'll be back, and next time I want to get that bar balls-to-the-walls full!

Malajube - Montreal -40°C

1 comment:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Sounds like a wicked time!!

but "Boosh!" ????? haha