Monday 14 December 2009

It's Cold

Apparently northern Canada gets cold. What's up with that?

Yesterday's low, -42 Celsius, that's -43 Fahrenheit

This morning it's -40 C, same thing Fahrenheit. I'm looking forward to the high of -37 we've been promised around 1'clock, that'll be an amazing reprieve of practically tropical temperatures

To illustrate just how cold it is, let me regale you with a tale.

Yesterday my car(Glenda) miraculously started. I forgot to plug it in Saturday night, so the thing was hard frozen, even the foam in its seats were completely solid. But I left her plugged in for the entire afternoon and evening of Sunday, and around ten at night Glenda sputtered to life. So we left her to idle for almost an hour to ensure that it would run the next day.

So, as expected, despite it being 40 below Glenda roared alive this morning without a problem. Once more, I left her to idle and warm up for a few minutes so I didn't destroy the engine, and soon it was time to drive to work.

I would have liked to unplug my car, which to some degree I did. Since everything was frozen harder than a diamond in a ice-storm, instead of the block-heater's plug nicely coming out it quite literally snapped right off.

Fantastic! Now I get to try and strip rock hard frozen wire and put a new plug on my car! I forgot how much fun winter is.

Oh well, at least it isn't windy. Although everything's just frozen solid and frost-bite sets in on bare skin in less than five minutes, I can handle it. If it were windy though, I'd be losing it.

Tomorrow's forecast?

41 below zero.

4 comments:

XOXO said...

Darling, I can commiserate. It's a freezing 68 degrees here. That's Farenheit. Our low tonite will be somewhere around 35 degrees when a cold front comes in, and tomorrow's forecast calls for a high only in the 40's.

I don't know how people live like this. I may actually have to wear a sweater tomorrow!!

Take care, sweetie and bundle up!

Kristi said...

Poor Glenda! And I feel sorry for your fingers!

Maxwell ! said...

My car doesn't have a name...well, I guess I yell "piece of fuck!" at it a lot. None the less, I had to wire up a new plug as well, in this terrible -45 weather we've been getting.

good-luck brother!

-Maxwell

Dave said...

I don't even have a place to plug mine in :S. Luckily it's brand new and starts no problem but hopefully we are living somewhere with parking spots and outlets next winter.