Monday 21 December 2009

Christmas Presents

At my staff Christmas Party I won a $350 Gift Card to Costco, so this weekend I went to buy myself all sorts of new things. Since I'm such a good person*pause for laughter* I spent a good 80% on myself.

The number one purchase was a brand new record player!

Holy Smackers this thing rocks! Not only that, but it fits perfect on top of my early 90s stereo system. So I spent all weekend listening to my records, all of which I haven't heard in over a year, and the first time ever in stereo surround sound!

The best record I re-discovered: Winds of Change by Jefferson Starship

There's one track in particular, I'll have to double check, named Out of Control that was fantastic! The mixing was amazing, and once or twice I had to check over my shoulder because I thought people were in my house talking behind me.

The second thing I bought was a Russian flag sweater. I was going through this big stack of sweaters with different countries and when I found Russia's the first thing I thought of was a guy shouting “Soviet!” which gave me a chuckle, so I bought it.

Glory to the motherland!

I wore it out to drinks with some friends, and afterwards one girl apparently tried to throw down on some Canada versus Russia at the Olympics trash talk, but was shocked to discover that I'm not actually from Russia.

The real kicker is that we discussed how I'm not from Russia and why I bought the sweater right in front of her. I guess she was distracted by the bright red colours and thoughts of Cossacks dancing.

It's okay, I understand how that could be distracting.

Then I bought buffalo seasoned chicken strips. Because chicken is delicious, and spicy chicken uber-delicious. To cool myself down after the spicy chicken I bought ice-cream.

Finally, to prove I'm still a man, which I swear I am despite needing to cool down after eating spicy food, I bought an electric shaver. Yes, I know real men should be shaving with razor sharp bowie knives, but gosh darnit, I don't want to end up looking like Danny Trejo.


So, has anyone treated themselves to some wicked presents this year? Or are you the giving, philanthropic type?

4 comments:

Aunty Pat said...

woohoo
You coulda got the giant package of paper towels and other such necessary crop, but I think you got great value with your gift card, plus the items will provide you lots of entertainment. Is there going to be a picture of the Canada girl beating you up? I like that you put a picture up from Steven's UK dance days, on his 33rd birthday!! We'll miss you at Hammell Boxing day extravaganza. Merry Christmas. Happy 2010 Love Aunty Pat

XOXO said...

Jake, if you really bought a record player, I'm going to love you forever. (which I may or may not have promised previously)

ROCK ON!

And I bought a new purse for me. Nothing special, I just found one and it was on sale, so I got it. I was in the midst of shopping for others, though, so can I keep my "good person" certification?

Chelsea Ribbon said...

This christmas I bought not one, but two boxes of $12 chocolates. That means I spent $24 on chocolates. I was saving them for when guests came over during the holiday season.

Well, I got hungry and I ate not one, but both boxes entirely by myself.

Dave came into the room and saw the remains. He said, "How come I didn't get any chocolates?" To which I replied, "Because I ate them all."

Tatiana said...

You can probably imagine my excitement when I saw this post. Oh the beauty that is a record player! I have run out of room in my record box. I need to steal some of your dads milk crates next time we're visiting.

This Christmas I bought myself some stuff for derby and a cast iron enamel coated 7 litre oven proof pot.