Tuesday 6 October 2009

Talking to Dennis Quaid

Here's something I've wanted to play with for a long, LONG, time. A HAM Radio. I think that would be really cool!

Currently, I work in radio. I've been behind the microphone thousands of times between a number of different stations. You'd think the novelty of that by now would have worn off, and to a degree it has. I still enjoy radio and all, and I always like hearing from my hometown about how some folks liked listening to me on weekends and still talk about it now and again. But ham radio, man that would be cool.

It's essentially all the same technology as an AM transmitter, which is my favourite kind of radio transmissions, and running a ham radio would put me one step closer to my goal of owning and operating a pirate (or legal) radio station some day.

Another reason I'd like to own a ham radio is so that I can use it talk backward through time to Dennis Quaid like in the movie 'Frequency.'

I live pretty far north, further than probably 70% of the rest of Canada, which puts me closer to the northern lights. If you saw the movie Frequency, then you'd know that the Aurora Borealis plays a key role in using a ham radio to talk backwards through time to Dennis Quaid.

I'm pretty much in the best place possible to re-enact 'Frequency.'

The catch? I don't own a ham radio. Nor do I have knowledge of how to run a ham radio or the proper license to operate one legally. But there aren't many things that are totally %100 legal anyway, and things that are %100 legal aren't always that much fun to do. So big whoop.

Luckily though, the local Grande Prairie Amateur Radio Club has just donated a working ham radio and transmission tower to the town museum. It's being unveiled at a press conference TOMORROW. I'm pretty sure if I give George Clooney and Brad Pitt a call they'd help me steal it, and we'd have lots of fun doing illegal things together like in 'Oceans 11.'

Or maybe I could just go to the press conference and play with the radio, either option works.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I love Dennis Quaid. As much as I love my own Dad, if I could have two, I'd pick Dennis Quaid.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

I'm going to have to check out that movie. I've never seen it. Media sure has its perks, eh Jake?

Jake Hammell said...

I would like to take a moment to state that the chick dancing behind Dennis Quaid is a total babe.

Comment Over.

drollgirl said...

haven't seen that movie, and i am SO GLAD that dennis quaid dumped meg ryan. she is so awful.

clearly i know zip about ham radios. but i hope you get one, and that you start running your own illegal show. you big rebel, you! do it!