Tuesday 19 May 2009

Zombies? Cowboys? Chris Kattan?

I was shopping for a few groceries a couple weeks ago when I came across this gem, 'Undead or Alive,' in a discount DVD bin.


Instantly its bold claim of 'A cowboy zombie movie...No really!' had me intrigued. Then I noticed Chris Kattan gracing the cover, who I hadn't heard of in years since that Corky Romano movie and the odd cameo on SNL now and then.

This film had to be purchased, and after shopping I begrudgingly shelled out the $4.99 for the movie. I went on my way with chips, a laundry basket, and sammich meats in tow, excited for the prospects of Undead or Alive.

I will also note here that the woman slicing meat at the deli was surly and did not make my deli experience the delight it normally is. I don't know why I enjoy getting sammich meats, but I do, and I always enjoy a cheerful attendant. This employee did not put the Deli in Delight.

I suppose it doesn't help though that I ding the little bell three or four times to get their attention.

Anyway, I finally got to watching Undead or Alive this past long weekend, and after much jibba jabba, here's the review.

It was bad, but in a good way.

For comparisons sake, it's very much like a Troma film.

The movie opens with a zombie eating the brains of his wife and child. The zombie is then thrown into jail and where he infects more people. A military deserter (James Denton) and local-idiot-cowboy (Chris Kattan) steal money from the local sheriff, who then hunts them down with a posse of cowboys.

One thing leads to another, the posse gets infected with the zombie gene, blah blah blah, zombies can only be killed by decapitation, blah blah blah, roll credits.

By far, the best character in the movie was the Sheriff. Can't remember the actor's name, but within the first five minutes of the show he drops the best line in the whole thing:

“I'm going to shoot your jaw off and take a shit in your chin-hole.”

Classic!

I'll recommend this if you like zombie movies and can appreciate films that don't take themselves too seriously. It's filled with unbelievable acting, cheesy lines, and general stupidity. It's a real departure from the usual zombie flick, and other than having horses and six-shooters should barely qualify as a period-western.

Plus, if I bought it for $5, you can be guaranteed to find it elsewhere. It's a good candidate for B-Zombie Movie Cult status.

1 comment:

Chelsea Ribbon said...

"This employee did not put the Deli in Delight."

lmao.

And Chris Kattan is awesome. I will watched this movie based soley on that.