Thursday 19 February 2009

Music Makes the Man

I listen to a lot of different types of music. Friends and coworkers have described my tastes as 'Eclectic.' I guess thats a good enough way to describe it. Some days I just want to listen to Meatloaf and REO Speedwagon, put on a leather jacket and perm my hair.
Other days I'll get down to some Grandmaster Flash and Sweatshop Union while wearing my pants around my knees and putting my hat on backwards.
Okay, so I don't actually own a hat, but the point is, I listen to it all. Every genre of music I touch upon in some way shape or form. But the question is, why?

To answer this, I have to travel far back in time to my earliest memories of listening to music, which would be with my dad. I don't think anyone has had a bigger musical influence on my life than my father.

The farthest back I can recall is driving with him somewhere (auction sales maybe?) in either our old station wagon or his 'brown truck.' My dad is about as old as the hills (fifty something), and liked to listen to the Winnipeg oldies station. I think it was 850 CHAB, perhaps you readers will remember better than me, and 880 CKLQ, Southwestern Manitoba's number one radio station, of which I was a proud DJ at for about year.

Because I listened to oldies rock and pop, and classic country (along with lots of country music from the 90s) I got an appreciation for music from days gone by. For musical styles that would be imitated, but never reproduced, and for the changing tides of music. Especially in country music you can hear how it's evolved over time to what it is now. Pop music has always been a very jolting transition. But that owes entirely to the fickle ears of youth, and the fact that the mainstream youth market completely changes about every 5 to 15 years.

The first time I remember getting hooked on a hit song was none other than Mister Bill Ray Cyrus' Achey Breaky Heart. I loved Achey Breaky Heart!
I. Loved. It.
I guess because it was really catchy and easy for a kid who was only four years old at the time to sing along with. Thankfully my music tastes have changed a little since then.

Now this one is really embarrassing. My first music purchase. Before I get to the bad part, let me give you some preamble. My older siblings got mail from Columbia House, which as I'm sure you all know, are the people who scam you into buying lots of DVDs and CDs through the mail. I don't know if they're still around, and frankly I don't care. When you can buy whatever you like through the mail and don't have a somebody to say "You don't want this" you can buy some pretty stupid crap.

So anyway, I scraped together the (probably) ten dollars to buy my very first cassette tape. It was..

Disco Dance Hits - 1976-1996


Why, oh why did my parents and older siblings ever let me buy this? They're lucky I didn't start wearing sparkly purple pants with diamond studded roller skates and start calling myself "Fabulicious Hammell."

In my defense though, I only think I listened to this like half a dozen times, and never from start to finish. As it turns out I wasn't that in to disco. Plus, by this point I had stolen my sister's copy of one my favourite albums of all time:

The Presidents of the United States of America


This was the Presidents first album, and self titled. The silly lyrics, which at the time didn't make a lot of sense but sounded good to my youthful ears, and cool sounds have had me hooked since I was six years old.

I didn't realize it until much later, but The Presidents were my first and greatest introduction into the world of pop music. But I was the only one in my class aside from my best friend who was listening to The Presidents. Everyone else on the other hand, and by everyone I mean the girls who always seemed to control the music box at lunch hours, were listening to...


The Spice Girls


Strangle me now. I didn't like them then, the only thing that was likable about them was the budding sense of sexuality a six year old is becoming aware of in the media. I always thought Victoria Spice was the hottest, but because my friends had already 'Called Dibs' on all the other ones, the only one I got to 'Call Dibs' on was Sporty Spice, who was universally recognized as the ugly one. What horrible trauma to have to experience as a child.

Luckily though they blew over pretty quick, and by the time I was in grade 5 they were a far distant memory. For some reason I hit my depressing, dress in black and be negative stage in grade 5 as well. I'm guessing it was a combination of my older brother being going through his eldest child rebellion stage, and the computer games I was playing at the time. Computer games have really screwed me up, but that's another blog for another time.

The next CD I bought at this time was a very odd choice. I think I had bought it more for the name on the cover than the actual music on the CD. It was the movie soundtrack to...

Spawn

It was a bit...heavy for my tastes these days. It included Metallica, Korn, Slayer, Marilyn Manson and Silverchair, as well some elctronica stuff. Out of those bands the only ones I still listen to are older Metallica (the stuff that's in that soundtrack), Marilyn Manson from when he was shit-disturbing, and Silverchair. The rest of it stuff I can't really stand. Some Butthole Surfers are on there, but they were paired up with Moby who for the most part I don't like at all.

Grade 6 and 7 is when I finally figured out that I should get albums based on the songs I heard on the radio and liked. I found this out one summer at an aunt's place where she had CABLE!!! At my parent's house in Pierson, Manitoba they only had an antenna. We still got a pretty good spread of channels, and I never missed out on many of the major television events or series. But when you only get five different channels (eight if the weather was good), you still miss out on a lot. One of these things was Much Music. I really enjoy music videos, but things still being the mid to late nineties, the internet didn't offer this opportunity (I didn't get the net until 2004) and me not having any channels offering this, I didn't get to see many videos.

So having cable that one summer for two or three weeks was a real experience. I distinctly remember watching the videos for Wonderful, Inside Out, Kryptonite, and Heart Shaped Box. I know these all didn't come out at the same time, it just happened to be what I remember watching. I also recall seeing Lucky by Britney Spears, but that was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Songs From and American Movie Vol.1 was the first CD I can remember listening to and really connecting with the lyrics. It was from Everclear with the singles Wonderful and AM Radio. It's not their best CD, they had a couple earlier ones that are better. But for me, that CD was KING. When little preteens talk about being depressed and how much life sucks, that's what I was going through when I got that CD.
Now, by no means was life all that bad, except that I was being a little shit in my classes, I'm pretty much responsible for driving my French teacher in grade 7 out of town, I was failing pretty much everything, and I only got through grade 7 by one point. One point and I would have failed, been held back, would not have graduated in 06', would not have met any of the same people I know today, probably wouldn't even be in radio.
So after that near fail, I can recall listening to the CD and thinking "Wow, that kid's life sucks in the Wonderful. Mine isn't that bad. Better pick things up."
The only change I made was in being more positive. I didn't try any harder, but my grades got much better, and I had a much better time at school. So much so in fact that I can't really say I had any downsides in Highschool. I had a pretty good time actually.

My musical tastes finally started to evolve in to what they are now around Grade 10, which would have been 2004 when I finally entered the new millenium and got dial-up internet. All 56K gloriousness of it.

Before this I don't even remember what I listened to for music. Probably KX96 and Hot 101.1 in Brandon. The classic and new rock stations. Nowadays I can't do anything without some kind of noise or music on. Remember Mambo Number 5 and Livin' La Vida Loca? I really enjoyed those too. I have Ricky Martin to thank for my introduction to Latin music. I don't enjoy the mainstream Latin stuff at all, I like the older instrumental stuff.

Anyway, so I got the internet, and started playing The Kingdom Of Loathing (KOL). It's a lot bigger now than when I started. It's not important when I started playing though, all that matters is that I spent a lot of time on that game. The community was cool, and the game always had lots of interesting people to chat with. Eventually it started up its own Internet Radio station.

Yeah the logo is shitty, but believe me, if you played the game you'd get the joke

It was soooo cooooooool! Suddenly I was opened up to an entire world of music I didn't even know existed. I heard reggea, I heard rap, I hear country, I heard rock, I heard J-pop, I heard clips from hilarious comedians, it was all there, and it was wonderful. It was as close to being pirate radio as anything these days is going get. It had so many different DJs, all of them players of KOL. There were the DJs I thought were awesome and cool to listen to, like Jick and Mr.Skullhead, and SpaceMonkey, and KolMohDee. There a few I hated but I don't remember who they were.

What I took away though was that everyone has different musical tastes.You don't have to live with what mainstream radio is shoving down your throat. You don't have to care what other people think about your music, because it's YOUR music! Who gives two shits if you like Trooper, or if you like Fergie? If you genuinely like them, then by all means flaunt it. Maybe I won't dig you s much at first, but hey, just because I think you're not a fly cat, doensn't mean you won't find other friends. That's pretty much true for anyone actually. You can't judge music by the genre it falls under. Sometimes you can't even judge it by the artist. Not often, but sometimes.

In summary, give all music a fair chance. If your friend wants to put on the new Taylor Swift CD, give them a chance before you barf. I won't judge, you shouldn't either.

Unless that artist is Bjork. I'm just not into Bjork and never will be.

It's just too...weird.


Anyway, now that I've exposed my dark, deep music secrets, how bout' you? What was your first CD purchase, or a band that you loved as a child and still love now? One I forgot to mention was the Barenaked Ladies. They're probably my favourite band, and I have my friend Graham to thank for that one. Kudos to you G-String! Here's to eclectic music!

4 comments:

Nai said...

Okay, so not only was I old enough to purchase my first cassette, we also had an antenna, but got 12 channels cuz the farm is ridiculously close to the US border. I got fox news from Rochester before FOX was Fox lol.

Also, we had a party line, actually, we had the last party line left in Manitoba.

The first music I ever bought was also from Columbia house. it was Guns and Roses the one with spaghetti on the front. It was great!

I also listened to the oldies station from Winnipeg while in the car with my mom and dad and CJOB... must be a small town/farm thing.

Anyways, now i'm all into indie rock and speed metal and about everything I can get my hands on. Clearly classical music has played a big role as well. Favorite of that will always be Chopin.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

My mother listened to country all the freaking time! I hated it. I had grown up with it and hated it the whole time.

We were in the car driving to Grandma's house on a Sunday. I was just a wee teeny bopper. I said, I want to listen to something else. Something NOT country.

Mom said, you don't know any other music.

I said, well you should at least give me a chance.

I flipped through the radio stations and landed on Hot 103 (It's the Bomb Baby! was their slogan at the time hahaha) and Backstreet Boys was playing.

This is what I like I said to my mother.

I received a Backstreet Boys cassette for my birthday and when CD's became the cool thing the first CD I bought I was Backstreet Boys "Millennium"

Maxwell ! said...

I just finally remembered what my first musical purchase was. It came to me last night while working. I was qualifying folks to be entered into a draw for tickets to the Eagles in Saskatoon this sunday. Then boom It hit me. I did the same as you Jake, my sister was in Columbia House and I saved my monies and Purchase "The Eagles: Hotel California". The Cassette of course! I remember now what became of it as well. My Dad and I we're driving in our old Buick and The tape player at the tape. WHen I got it out it was ruined. I threw it out the window into the Pembina river. Ah Memories

Jake Hammell said...

That hilarious! I also like how everyone bought better music than me when they were little. That's an awesome ending to your first tape,

"I threw it out the window into the Pembina river."

Classic. Just like your first tape.