Monday 8 December 2008

Forget the MP3 Player!

Well gang, I have discovered something amazing: When you update your software they sometimes have new and wonderful things for you to use!


In particular, I'm walking about updating Winamp. For those not in the know, Winamp is a program which plays music and video. Simple enough right? Well, it always has these updates all the freaking time, and I hate having to keep updating it. I put off the most recent update for a good two months and just recently had an extra five minutes to do some work on my PC.
During the updates it asked if I was interested in 'Winamp Remote.' I wasn't, but because I'm a nice guy I figured I'd have a look since the computer took time out of its busy schedule to ask me.

image courtesy of: winamp.com

What Winamp Remote basically is is a webpage that connects to your computer at home where you can upload music from your computer. Then any computer, PS3, or Wii you go to can access that music and play it! It's sort of like Internet Radio for one person, or a free MP3 player. I think you can get it on your cell phone as well. I was sold instantly, this is a fantastic bit of software that I think anyone who loves listening to music would really appreciate.

Winamp Remote effectively solves my problem of being without an MP3 player. I'm a big fan of always listening to music. I would watch TV and movies with music playing if I could handle the auditory assault. The real ingenious thing about Winamp Remote is that the computer you stream your music to doesn't even have to have Winamp installed. As I type I'm actually streaming to Windows Media Player which was already installed on my work computer. Also, now I don't have to physically transport this data to my work's hard drive (something I'm not supposed to do).

The only thing I'm worried about is if the Feds are perhaps watching the data stream and bust into my house shouting, "Jake Hammell, you're under arrest for piracy of music!" Lots of guns will probably be pulled out and badges flashed. It will likely look a little like this:


image courtesy of: 353review.com

The real problem there is that now its winter out, so after a sexy intense gunfight, I won't make a speedy getaway on my luxurious pirate schooner because all the ports are frozen up. I'll have escape out my secret underground tunnel, but that poses a lot of problems because the Chinese Triads have been smuggling liquor down there and some gang violence has erupted. Things could be a little cluttered up. I'll have to work out the details later.

Other than that though, Winamp Remote is an excellent program. If you have a good internet connection at home and don't mind leaving your computer on, Winamp Remote is a program I would recommend to anyone. The overall score of Winamp Remote:

8/10

Pro: No more uploading and downloading of your music to an MP3 player, just tell the program where to look for the files, build a playlist, and go. In less than 5 minutes you can listen to your music anywhere with a PS3, Wii, PC, and possibly a Cellular Phone.
Con: I think this may really increase your chances of getting busted by the feds if you download music illegally, but I can't confirm that, my paranoia strikes deep. Also, if you have a poor internet connection you're likely to get quite frustrated with it when it won't play your music.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Fear not hamilman, this type of use is very grey area in canada, I would not worry about it. I doubt anyone is even "listening", no pun intended hahahaha