Wednesday 13 June 2012

A Tricky Trickerson

I’ve been watching a lot of Dragon’s Den on Netflix lately, and I’d like to think I’m getting to know a lot of the Dragon’s personalities.

Specifically, I’m talking about Kevin O’Leary. This guy knows business, and he’s not modest about that fact. His attitude is bold, brash, and to put it simply, obnoxious. He’s an excellent villain for the whole show, and while the other Dragons are just at cutthroat, you don’t notice because Kevin is so over-the-top.

 But here’s something I noticed: He buys things on the show that he likes. In the first couple of seasons he bought a banana holder, a scarf thing, and a dimmer switch/Christmas bulb. Everyone has a laugh, the inventors feel proud of themselves, and the show moves on.

But you know what’s interesting about the things he buys? They all either non-patented or easily replicated without violating an existing patent, and he’ll say so on the show.

 It could be coincidence, but I have strong, sneaking suspicion that maybe Mr. O’Leary gets his R&D folks to replicate and patent these products under one of his companies. I’m not saying he DOES do that, it just seems like a funny coincidence that makes me raise an eyebrow.


Anyway that's my conspiracy theory for the day!

1 comment:

Tatiana said...

I highly suggest you check out some British Dragon's Den. The Dragons on there make Kevin O'Leary look like a preschool teacher. One is known for trying to break things and another is known to yell at people for trying to waste his money.