Monday 8 February 2010

Superbowl Ads

Last night was Superbowl 44 where the New Orleans Saints took home the NFL championship with a 31-17 victory over the Indianapolis Colts. This marks both their first appearance, and victory, at a Superbowl during their 43 year history as an NFL franchise.


But, the fantastic football game aside, I was watching the game so as to scam my generous friends out of delicious food and watch the commercials.

This year seemed to be a pretty hum-drum affair. The commercials were okay, but overall it was a poor offering, especially for the Superbowl. Too many ads just left me with raised eyebrows, or looks of disapproval.

One running theme this year seemed to be pantsless men. Several completely unrelated ads contained men who were sans-pants, and as such I saw an uncomfortable amount of tighty-whities over a 3 hour span this year.



Not only that, but there was Superman ice-cream cake being served at the Superbowl party, and I received the slice that had Superman's tightly clad crotch on it.

It was pretty gay. Thanks guys.

Another series of ads I didn't care for were the Go Daddy website commercials featuring race car driver Danica Patrick. First off, I don't find Danica Patrick to be all that good looking, and second of all, since when did selling domain names become something that women would tear their shirts off for? I like ads with sex in them, but this is just confusing.



Finally, my favourite ad of the entire night was for Doritos. They held this contest in which people would submit their own commercials, and winners would receive big cash prizes. In my opinion, this ad has everything that makes a Superbowl ad great; Snack-food, violence, odd clothing choices, and a beard.



Who wants Doritos?

No comments: