Thursday 25 February 2010

Scrabbling for Life

I'm a Word Nerd, and have been for a while. It took me a few years to catch on to the proper usage of there, their, and they're, as well as the difference between 'to' and 'too,' but now I think spelling and grammar are the bee's knees!

Oftentimes I'll be chatting with my friends and they make me stop and repeat what I said with a thorough explanation on my choice of vernacular. Apparently I'm prone to using obscure words only fantasy novelists scribe.

As a Word Nerd, it only makes sense that I'm also a big Scrabble nut. I've played more Scrabble in the past two weeks than in than I have in a year, and that's because my boss happens to also be a Scrabble maniac. We have a vicious rivalry so strong that people in the office have even started to take sides in.


It started out with me winning about three games in a row last year during summer barbecues and camping trips, but she got a second board for Christmas, and now we play at least once or twice a week.

The biggest runaway victory so far was claimed by me when I won by 103 points or so, and the highest scoring word being worth 69 points to my credit.

This came just after she smote me with a 99 point victory, and the highest scoring word racked up 65 points to her score card.

Our closest match was a tie game in which my extra points added to her score, and almost cost me the win. As it turns out, a letter V is nearly impossible to place anywhere on short notice, good letter to have otherwise though.

By the way, there are 20 letter Vs in this blog entry.

This Tuesday was our most recent bout, and it was a real slug-fest. We were neck and neck until the end, she had too many consonants the entire game, I had too many vowels. At one point I literally had the Letters AAIIOOO, which unfortunately not a word, and only worth seven points anyway (plus 50 for using all seven). In the end she won by 27 points. I tried my best, but sometimes, just like a card game, the letters just aren't in the bag for you.

Today we've scheduled another match, and this one should be good. We've gone back and forth for a while, and I can't let her win two in a row, otherwise she might gain some serious momentum and Word Nerd status card might have to be revoked.


And FYI, I'll throw down on Scrabble with anyone, anywhere, anytime. Maybe I should start the Extreme Scrabble League, anyone want to join?

Pearl Jam - Do The Evolution

5 comments:

Maxwell ! said...

It’s so funny you mention having to stop and explain words to people. I was having the same conversation with my ex English teacher via facebook. I was telling her of people often stopping me to explain some of the words I use.

But come to think of it that is possibly why our drunken conversations were so good Jake. We both understood each others vocabulary even if mine was soaked in Gin and yours in Ale.

Also, I’ve never actually played Scrabble but I am a competitive person and would throw down with you any day of the week Hammell!

-Maxwell

Jay said...

22 V's, by my count.

Jake Hammell said...

Damn! You're right, I forgot to count the two separate instances with just a letter V, and instead only counted actual words. Jay receives 8 points for finding two extra V's.

Chelsea Ribbon said...

OH Jake you're in for a treat next time you're in winnipeg! There's this place Dave and I frequent called "Cousins Deli" or something like that. Not only do they serve delicious food and alcohol, but they have scrabble games that the customers can play while they drink and eat. Good times!

Tatiana said...

Oh scrabble...how I love you!! Your brother won't play with me but will gladly help your baby sister slaughter myself and your mother.

My parents have have a vicious scrabble rivalry spanning almost 30 years. They've saved every score card. They're hardcore, they'll play it in German and English.