Monday 29 June 2009

Kicking my Addiction

I'm a man of many vices. One of my bad ones that I never imagined I'd get hooked on is coffee.
I remember when I was a young buck thinking “Man, coffee is G-R-O-S-S.” But then again, at that age I liked to combine Cheez-Wiz and peanut butter in the same sammich, so maybe my tastes have changed a little since then.

I have college friends to blame for my addiction mostly. Being poor, and living hand to mouth meant I didn't have lots of money to do fun things during school. Of course, my poorness was partly to blame on spending food/rent money on beer, but who hasn't done that at some point in life?
I started drinking Earl Grey tea (Twinnings) because I had so much of it and because it was hot and I didn't like to turn on the heater because of the associated costs. And with nothing else to drink at friend's houses I'd just bring along tea and we'd have a good old time playing video games and pretending to be British.

Okay, so I was only the one pretending to be British, and that really only happened inside my head. But we did all drink tea.

I got hooked on the stuff. I'd drink a litre or two of black tea a day. Screw soda! I'm a tea man! Every Thursday we'd have bake club (No, it wasn't about marijuana, it was about eating cereal and cakes and things. The actual name stems from a long convulated story concerning potato patties) and have snacks, watch TV, and drink tea.

Then we switched from tea to the hard stuff. Coffee. One buddy had always tried to hook me on The Joe,
“Just try some, you'll like it!” he would say.

“I dunno man, that sounds like a bad idea.” I'd reply tentatively

“Listen, the first cup is free. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it ever again...”

“Well, okay, but just this once.”

I tried it and was done for. I've always had an addictive personality, so I should have realized that as soon I drank some java I'd be on it for life.

Anyway, I've decided to cut back. Yesterday I drank 12 cups (one pot) all by myself. Some days at work I go through a pot and a half all by myself. It can't be healthy for me (Not that drinking coffee is the least healthy thing I ingest on a regular basis).

Today, I had one cup of coffee (that was like 1/6th of a pot) and chewed gum. My eyelids feel droopy and my hair is all itchy.

It must be withdrawl. I should get some methadone like heroin addicts do. That stuff isn't addictive. Right?


Reel Big Fish - She Has a Girlfriend Now

5 comments:

Tatiana said...

Every few months your brother will do a coffee detox. I think he does this because he secretly hates me. He's a nightmare during these detox periods. So knowing full well how Hammells handle detoxing I would warn your friends now you might be a bit of a Monster during the first few detox days.

Now he's drinking some really amazing quality coffee. It's good stuff! Really good stuff. I haven't heard a whisper about a potential detox so I think he's finally given up battling his coffee demons and just given in to the temptress that is locally roasted coffee beans.

John said...

Oh come on. Ride the snake!

Dave said...

Jesus Christ, 12 cups in one day?!?! If I have 2 I feel bad haha

Maxwell ! said...

Dude, I know what you're talking about. I've been cutting back myself because I was drinking a pot per shift at work.

One thing that has worked is Iced coffee. I grab a big one from Tims or robins, or MCd's and it ties me over well. Its about the equivalent of two cups. Its also tasty

Chelsea Ribbon said...

Iced coffee also has WAY more calories!

Taking coffee black isn't that bad for you. It's adding the cream and sugar that really fuck you over in the fat and calories department.

If you're drinking 12 cups a day with cream and sugar, you're probably also having a sugar high and then crashing really hard, so you drink another cup to make up for it but then you feel worse.

I've never liked coffee (even after working at Tim Hortons for 10 months with all the free coffee I can drink within my shift.) I'm a tea-drinker through and through.

Get back to tea Jake. Your body will thank you for it!